Unclean Shutdowns since the last big update.

My system shutdown normally until did the 6.12 update earlier this year. (pretty sure that was the version that started it. It was spring I think this all started).

I have read this thread (by dlandon) and made the changes suggested, but have not had the chance to test yet:

I was hoping someone could help me figure out what the logs say is the reason for my unclean shutdowns. I have not had a clean shutdown since spring. If I stop the full array and then reboot / shutdown, everything is fine. But I shouldn't have to do that. I didn't used to have to do that.

Thanks

nachoserver-diagnostics-20231015-1014.zip

Edited by cardNull
Wording

Have you tried the steps documented here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page that relate to troubleshooting unclean shutdowns?  The Unraid OS->Manual section in particular covers most features of the current Unraid release.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Have you tried the steps documented here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page that relate to troubleshooting unclean shutdowns?  The Unraid OS->Manual section in particular covers most features of the current Unraid release.

I had not read that one, but I have now. The only differing info from the post I linked above was about the docker container shutdown and SMB / NFS mounts. I set my docker containers to 30 seconds from 10 seconds (default). My remote server (Unassigned Devices remote shares) is not offline when my main server goes down. Today it was definitely up. I tested them today and they all took about 2 seconds to unmounted. My remote shares are for my backup server.

Additionally I set the timers the same as Dlandon suggested in my link above.

3 minutes ago, cardNull said:

I had not read that one, but I have now. The only differing info from the post I linked above was about the docker container shutdown and SMB / NFS mounts. I set my docker containers to 30 seconds from 10 seconds (default). My remote server (Unassigned Devices remote shares) is not offline when my main server goes down. Today it was definitely up. I tested them today and they all took about 2 seconds to unmounted. My remote shares are for my backup server.

Additionally I set the timers the same as Dlandon suggested in my link above.

Are you sure the timeout for stopping the array is long enough?     You mentioned you do not get an unclean shutdown if you stop the array first.

58 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Are you sure the timeout for stopping the array is long enough?     You mentioned you do not get an unclean shutdown if you stop the array first.

I adjusted it from the default value today. The array is doing a parity check now (from the unclean shutdown) so I will have to wait to test until after. My timeout now is 7 minutes (420 seconds) on the array. It was 1.5 minutes (90 seconds)

19 hours ago, JonathanM said:

You can cancel that check and do your tests to hopefully fix the issue. Just make sure to do a correcting parity check after things have been sorted out.

After correcting all those settings (following my guide and the one @itimpi suggested) then allowing the parity check to complete. I rebooted and it was fine. Then I rebooted an hour ago and it was unclean again. It seems like progress, since I was not able to get a clean reboot since spring.