Eth0 Does Not Exist -- After Reboot

Go to solution Solved by geeksheikh,

I validated and reviewed several backups, hence the delay.

Noting that after the subsequent reboot, the network-rules.cfg was gone again and the entire problem repeated. Assuming I can get the server back up and in an operational state, I will attempt the upgrade.

I'm still baffled why my /boot/config/network-rules.cfg file keeps disappearing and why my eth0 and eth1 devices keep getting renamed to eth2 and eth3 breaking everything. I have no idea how/why this started occurring or really how to fix it. Just praying that the upgrade resolves the issue.

Ok @JorgeB -- I have completed the upgrade and I still have the same issue.

There is no /boot/config/network-rules.cfg after reboot. If I add it (the one I found on the vanilla usb drive) it gets removed when the server reboots.

I'm posting the UI screenshot of my network config and another diagnostics bundle. Notice that the eth0 is grayed out and that eth2 and eth3 are seen as what my old eth0 and eth1 used to be. I have tried deleting the network.cfg file and rebooting as well as going through the ui and resetting network config.

Seems like there's an OS level issue and short of purging and rebuilding the OS and trying to get all my configs back to functional...I don't know any other way to repair this.

I need some more help. Can we please get more eyes on this to see if we can figure out the root cause and fix the issue?

image.thumb.png.2e631c25a87d1a62d9502885b3d3b257.png

pumbaa-diagnostics-20231101-1636.zip

Is this process documented anywhere (moving to fresh install and restoring all configs)? I've never done this and am a bit concerned of going down a rabbit hole. For example -- given the above, would my user scripts get pulled over? what about all the plugins and their configs such as backups? 

If I get partially through the process with a new usb and am missing something, can I just stick the old usb back in the server and go capture whatever I missed?

Edited by srfnmnk
49 minutes ago, srfnmnk said:

given the above, would my user scripts get pulled over? what about all the plugins and their configs such as backups?

Only if you copy them, they all use the /config/plugins folder.

50 minutes ago, srfnmnk said:

If I get partially through the process with a new usb and am missing something, can I just stick the old usb back in the server and go capture whatever I missed?

You can, but you just a need a backup of the existing /config folder, all config files are inside it.

• Solution

It appears I'm back up and running but I have no idea why.

I migrated my config dir to the new usb drive (also on 6.12.4) and started back, replaced my key, and now no matter how many times I reboot, the network-rules.cfg file remains in /boot/config. On the old drive, I could place the network-rules.cfg file in /boot/config and reboot and everything would work perfectly...except, after reboot the file was gone. When the file is present, the eth devices get assigned properly, when it's missing, things go wonky. Ghost in the machine I guess...

I ran a scan on the old usb drive and it came back with no issues -- so I have absolutely no idea what could have happened...but looks like we're back online now. Thank you for your help.

• Like 1