Any reason not to reset my config and use ZFS in the array drives?

Go to solution Solved by MAM59,

Hello,

I have an array of 7 drives with a single parity and XFS - encrypted FS. Does it make sense to break everything and use ZFS in the following situation? I've never used ZFS before, but I've heard endless of praise for it, so it must be the latest trend.

Here's the situation: I want to upgrade to dual parity and replace about half of the drives with larger models. I could do this step by step, but it seems like it would take a really long time. So, I'm considering speedrunning it by backing up my entire array to another NAS, then destroying the array, installing the new drives all at once, creating a fresh configuration, and finally copying all the data back from the other NAS.

Simultaneously, I'm thinking that I may as well format the "new" array's drives into ZFS with encryption (array drives can be encrypted if using ZFS, right?). I understand that since I will not use a ZFS pool, I won't get the best perks like bitrot healing, but supposedly, using ZFS for UnRAID's array drives still has certain benefits vs. XFS.

If anything above is a bad idea, please stop me :).

2 minutes ago, MadDiplomat said:

If anything above is a bad idea, please stop me :).

I don't think this is a good strategy with the current version of Unraid. There have been multiple reports of very slow speeds with ZFS single members in the parity array, encryption would just make it that much worse. ZFS' strengths are in multi member pools.

• Upvote 1
  • Solution

STOP! 😁

Many people like me tried it, got completely disappointed and had to take the long way back to XFS!

ZFS write "speeds" within the array are ridiculously low, mine were at ~70Mb/s (maximum!).

They say ZFS can be used in pool drives, my tests were also disappointing, so, after some weeks of fighting, this is a ZFS-free zone again.

• Upvote 2