Using Trial on different hardware inc USB to eventual build

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hey,

Totally new unRAID and even NAS user here so apologies if this is the first of many stupid questions 😉

Before I start building my actual server (either totally fresh or may re-use an old HP Microserver I acquired) I'd like to have a throw away play on an old laptop. I assume if I create a boot disk out of a random USB drive I have laying around and kick off my free trial for the laptop test, I will then be able to buy a better quality USB stick and essentially start from scratch when I come to build my actual server?!

I feel like the answer is almost certainly yes and it'll be fine, but just wanted to double check (and also gave me an excuse to get set up on the forum 🙂 )

Many thanks!

Lee

Yeah, it'll really be a pure poke around to be honest, just to get a feel for the GUI and possibly set up a share. The share won't really get used other than to prove I can at least do that basic task easily enough 🙂

I've got the HP Microserver plus an old PC tower so the plan is to eventually build two servers (to allow backup, one is in an outbuilding so separated physically) although not sure yet if I'll build into the Microserver first or the old PC tower. It's all purely for tinkering and some basic additional storage for now, so more of a hobby than something mission critical. So I don't even really mind if ultimately after I've bought the first basic licence I find out it doesn;t do everything I want (in part because I couldn't tell you everything I want. But from what I've read I certainly think it covers the four main things I have in mind:

1. Storage
  2. VM (Windows and Linux, again purely to play)
  3. Plex Server
  4. Time Machine backup for my Macbook

So really as long as I get on OK with the GUI, that's enough for me to go ahead and buy the licence I think.