Request to add xr_serial drivers to support more UPS.

53 minutes ago, humorous-groan6614 said:

Request to add xr_serial drivers to support more UPS.

This is a relatively new USB to Serial driver correct (I think it was released a few years ago)?

Can you please go a bit more in detail what UPS models are using that driver?

@Rysz are you aware of that? Is that also necessary for the NUT plugin or did you hear about any UPS models not working yet?

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

This is a relatively new USB to Serial driver correct (I think it was released a few years ago)?

Can you please go a bit more in detail what UPS models are using that driver?

@Rysz are you aware of that? Is that also necessary for the NUT plugin or did you hear about any UPS models not working yet?

As far as I know there's only one NUT driver for a specific Huawei UPS series (2000) which would require that kernel module to work using USB - but even there only for a specific chip used by older pre-2022 devices - and you could instead use a serial cable without needing the kernel module as an alternative. All other USB and serial drivers don't seem to need that kernel module, so might be worth trying NUT with your UPS device.

This is the only driver that might need it:

https://networkupstools.org/docs/man/huawei-ups2000.html

Edited by Rysz
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

@humorous-groan6614 what UPS do you own?

Just trying to evaluate if it actually makes sense to include this driver, it most certainly won't use much additional space.

Seems to be a driver mostly for chips by MaxLinear/Exar, like this one, which are used in various appliances:

https://www.maxlinear.com/product/interface/uarts/usb-uarts/xr21v1412

If it's small and doesn't cause any negative fallout, might be worth considering for an inclusion (kernels 5.12+).

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 3:38 PM, ich777 said:

@humorous-groan6614

what UPS do you own?

Just trying to evaluate if it actually makes sense to include this driver, it most certainly won't use much additional space.

I think it's worth it to include sub-drivers.

Because there are a lot of users using Huawei in China, including UPS produced by Huawei. Many UPS devices in the flea market are driven by xr_serial.

If you can add this driver, it will help many novice users.

Edited by humorous-groan6614
On 10/31/2023 at 5:08 PM, Rysz said:

Seems to be a driver mostly for chips by MaxLinear/Exar, like this one, which are used in various appliances:

https://www.maxlinear.com/product/interface/uarts/usb-uarts/xr21v1412

If it's small and doesn't cause any negative fallout, might be worth considering for an inclusion (kernels 5.12+).

Thank you very much for your understanding, this driver is very small under Linux, I hope to test it, if there are no other problems, I hope to add it to help more novice users.

• 3 weeks later...

我的UPS是APC SPRM1K,使用的芯片为XR21V1410,连接上Unraid时,会被识别为ttyACM0,并且无法通讯,具体表现可参考这篇文章:HUAWEI_UPS2000(8)

我尝试自行编译xr_serial.ko驱动,但我无法找到官方支持内容,于是参考这篇文章:rtl8125-driver-for-unraid-6.8.2 进行编译

• Unraid 版本:6.12.6

• Linux内核版本:6.1.64

但生成的驱动文件无法加载,报错如下:

root@UNRAID02:~# insmod /lib/modules/6.1.64-Unraid/xr_serial.ko
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /lib/modules/6.1.64-Unraid/xr_serial.ko: Invalid module format
root@UNRAID02:/lib/modules/6.1.64-Unraid# modprobe xr_serial
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'xr_serial': Exec format error

现在服务器暂时运行 TrueNAS,充当 NUT Server 的角色,期待开发者的xr_serial驱动

On 12/18/2023 at 4:54 PM, aukcl said:

我尝试自行编译xr_serial.ko驱动,但我无法找到官方支持内容,于是参考这篇文章:rtl8125-driver-for-unraid-6.8.2 进行编译

I hope my translation software is correct... :D

On 12/18/2023 at 4:54 PM, aukcl said:
insmod /lib/modules/6.1.64-Unraid/xr_serial.ko

Don't use insmod in the first place, insmod has in my opinion a completely different use case and you should not use it on Unraid since Unraid even doesn't.

I recommend using modprobe instead because modprobe is able to detect and insert modules which are maybe needed for the module that you want to insert which insmod does not automatically do.

However I haven't gone through the complete repository that you've linkend since I can't read most of that. :D

If you've compiled the module yourself make sure you do a `depmod -a` first and then do a modrpobe.