6.12.4 - Server no longer pushing 10G. Using 10G network card but unable to get more than 1G across the network and internally.

I am running 6.12.4 and I have a 10G card installed in my server. I also have a 10G card installed on my desktop and was previously able to get 10G to function without issues. Now I cannot seem to make this happen. 

The server is an HP DL380 G9. It was previously on a Dell R610. Both platforms the 10G worked without issues. My desktop is using a Solarstorm SFN5122F with a 10G capable SFP connected to a fiber run over to the switch which is a PowerConnect 5548P. The Unraid server is using an Intel 10G NIC (forgot model number). The server is connected via a DAC to the switch. 

I have a speedtest and an iperf3 box setup for testing speeds. Before whatever issue happened I was getting about 6G of the 10G transfer speeds. Enough to know the 10G was working and there were no real issues. I could even get the transfer speeds that showed this to be the case. Without warning and with no changes I can see, suddenly I cant get more than 1G speeds. It is only connected to a 10G NIC, logs show it sees the 10G and connects, Windows VMs see the 10G, the managed switch sees the 10G connected at that speed. So everything should be on the up and up. But no avail. I have tried to use a VM on the machine itself to test the speed to the speedtesting containers and even that doesnt get more than 1G. So even internally without leaving the machine it is only offering 1G speeds.

I have set the network bonding to only include the 10G interface I am currently using. All other ports are unplugged so only the 10G should be used in every scenario. 

I have tested both a docker container and a VM with iperf and the results are the same. 

Anyone have any ideas that they think might help. A setting, a test, anything. I will share anything needed to help out. This has been driving me mad for about a month. Searches on the forums, reddit and google have not been very helpful. I am hoping a post will get some interest here for someone with new ideas. I have debated on ordering new hardware for the NIC, but I feel this issue is very specific to something not hardware related. It has to be some software trigger. A driver, a setting, an update in the software. Hardware doesn't magically fail from a 10G to a 1G connection perfectly. 

30 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If iperf is giving 1GB without bonding something is likely going on with the LAN, could be a NIC (or its driver/settings), cables, switch, etc.

Nothing has changed with the cables until this issue happened. The DAC and fiber are both pretty new. having been in for less than a year or so. If the fiber were an issue it would just not work, and I have had zero issues out of my desktop. 

But more over, I shouldn't be seeing issues within the networking of the Unraid server. I should be able to get the full 10G speeds if I run iperf from a VM on the server to a docker container on the server. Or at least more than 1G. So none of the cabling is in play here. Even internally the system is not allowing the 10G speeds while it is acknowledging the 10G is there and it is negotiating that speed with the network. 

As for the network configuration, I don't use VLANs and its a completely flat network. There are no real settings to actually look at. Everything is allowed to flow. The only thing that COULD be considered different is the DNS server is a VM on the Unraid server. But that would not affect direct IP connections. 

The only logical issue is going to be the driver I would say. Tracking that change down will be slightly difficult. 

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

If iperf is giving 1GB without bonding something is likely going on with the LAN, could be a NIC (or its driver/settings), cables, switch, etc.

I am almost positive I have figured out the issue. 

Eth0 is the default connection of the system and it will not let me change/remove that. Eth0 is a 1G port that is always set as the active member. Meaning that no matter what changes it will only ever communicate at 1G. Guess I have to goto the console to try and figure out how to get Eth0 off the network members. 

6 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can change which NIC is eth0, Settings - Network Settings - Interface rules (need to reboot to apply)

eth0 is a specific interface. It doesn't let you remove it or change which interface it is. At least not from the GUI. That is a Linux setting and eth0 corresponds to which physical interface what that MAC address. 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, icedfusion said:

Was this resolved? I recently upgraded to 6.12.4 and I have the same issue that the nic is only connecting to my network at 1gbps instead of 10 - the only thing that has changed is this upgrade of the unraid server.

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread so we can see what is going on.

thank you. I seemed to have resolved it.

I tried this to force it to 10gbps:

sudo ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on speed 10000 duplex full

which made my server disappear off the network....lol

I then performed the tried and tested off/on again (for about the 15th time) but this time I saw on my router it connected at 10gbps and I verified this by logging into the server and checking the dashboard settings. No idea why the command 'seemed' to work after so many resets I previously tried.

Cheers