Can you back up one zfs pool with another zfs pool on the same unraid server?

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Very new to unraid and coming from Truenas scale. I love it so far. I'm doing some harddrive buying and will have a zfs pool as my main pool. I'm trying to see if it's possible to basically create another pool in a disk shelf since my server can handle that and backup the main pool to that other pool if both are the same size and in zfs format like you would with a separate server. Offsite backups would be cloud based as needed.

• Solution

You can use rsync to do the actual backup of new and changed files.  Google rsync linux to determine what switches are necessary to do the backup exactly the way you need.

If you can write a bash script, you can use the User Scripts plugin to schedule the backups.

However understand that this is not an optimal backup solution.  You have too many common hardware pieces and only one physical device containing both databases.  (Think fire, floods, theft, lightning, hackers....)

If you're going zfs -> zfs, look at znapzend. 

It allows you to both automate your main pool's snapshots, but also send additional snapshots to a remote pool. This lets you have all the benefits of zfs snapshotting, but in the remote pool as well.

The setup has no GUI, but it's not too hard to get going.