Add precleared disk without Array to preclear it again?

starcat

Hi guys, 

I am running unRaid version 6.9.2 and last time I added a precleared disk, the array didn't notice it is already precleared and started recalculating parity again.

What is the proper way of letting the array know a precleared disk will be added, so it do not need to recalculate the parity?

Thanks!

PS:

I am using a pretty old Joe L. preclear_disk.sh v1.7 on a different (version 4.7) server, which actually shouldn't matter, no?

41 minutes ago, starcat said:

Hi guys, 

I am running unRaid version 6.9.2 and last time I added a precleared disk, the array didn't notice it is already precleared and started recalculating parity again.

What is the proper way of letting the array know a precleared disk will be added, so it do not need to recalculate the parity?

Thanks!

PS:

I am using a pretty old Joe L. preclear_disk.sh v1.7 on a different (version 4.7) server, which actually shouldn't matter, no?

It should 'just work' and as far as I know the version used is irrelevant as long as it completes without any error.  Make sure you do not do anything to the disk after the preclear completes or this will destroy the preclear signature.   A common mistake is to try formatting the disk before adding it to the array.

Ok, I see, so probably my preclear_disk.sh v1.7 isn't writing the proper signature and the disk do not get recognized as pre-cleared in the newer array.

Which version or other tool do I need to write a signature to the disk (it is already pre-cleared with the old script).

Btw, what happened to Joe L., must have been at least 10 years.. 

17 minutes ago, starcat said:

Which version or other tool do I need to write a signature to the disk (it is already pre-cleared with the old script)

I would suggest you use the UD version of Preclear nowadays.   Not sure you can ‘just’ write the Preclear signature, but you could just run the write phase.