Upgraded parity drive - Parity check very slow

flixxx
Go to solution Solved by flixxx,

Hello,

I recently upgraded my parity from a 4TB to 20TB hard drive. 

Precleared it, did the parity write.

Now, I want to ensure it's correct before i install any new hard drives. I am running a parity check (without write correction) and it's running extremely slow - 18MB/s, 12 days to finish.

With my 4 TB, it would take a little over a day.

I've attached the diagnostics while parity check is running.

kenny-diagnostics-20231121-0707.zip

Edited by flixxx
  • Solution

Nevermind, found the issue. I had the syslog server running and pointing to the unraid while i was troubleshooting other things a couple of days ago and forgot to turn it off. 

The moment i turned it off, the speed jumped and it will complete at a reasonable time.

It dropped back down again - will continue to monitor and post diags in a few hours

Edited by flixxx
  • flixxx changed the title to Upgraded parity drive - Parity check very slow

I've narrowed down the problem to the docker Codeproject AI. When i turn it off, it jumps back to about 140MB/s. With it on it crawls to about 20 MB/s

Total CPU load with it on goes to a max of 20%, docker stats commands shows it peak at 2%.

I just tried pinning cpu on that particular docker to all except 0/1 and it seems to get a bit better to 95 MB/s.

Still gonna play around with it - i've had this docker running for at least a year with no issue and the config hasn't changed.