Disk 3 missing - what should I do?

First post your Diagnostics file in a new post in this thread.    (That will give the Gurus something to look at to formulate a solution to your problem.)

I suspected you are restricted from posting that screenshot but that blockage should eliminated shortly.  (Many of us are really gun sly about clicking on links from new members...)   

Edited by Frank1940
5 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

First post your Diagnostics file in a new post in this thread.    (That will give the Gurus something to look at to formulate a solution to your problem.)

I suspected you are restricted from posting that screenshot but that blockage should eliminated shortly.  (Many of us are really gun sly about clicking on links from new members...)   

Here is my diagnostics file. I would have posted the link as an image instead but I dont see that option in the thread options. Its just my unraid disk screenshot I promise!

unraidtower-diagnostics-20231122-1632.zip

Edited by unthinking-pretender1681
typo

Update: I physically removed the disk and inspected it (and sniffed it for burning smell - nothing)

unraid_WD_disk.thumb.jpg.6b216ae4607513e21b779dbbcd973e45.jpg

Re-installed the disk; Unraid recognized it, but was not auto added to its previous position (Disk 3)

unraid.unassignedWD.thumb.jpg.f5f51f596a9ab1a2974eb0fa71eeeee3.jpg

Manually added disk to array set to Disk 3; Unraid rebuild started

unraid.rebuild.thumb.jpg.953d8edae9aed79e1d47405e4896be0e.jpg

1. I dont know what caused the disk to just disappear

2. I dont know why the disk became recognizeable when I reinstalled it

3. I dont know why the disk is recognizeable but lost all data? and then needed to be rebuilt from parity

4. After array rebuild is done I will do a full SMART test and post results

Edited by unthinking-pretender1681
added #4

Make sure that your PS has the ampere capacity to simultaneously spin up all the during startup.  (The peak current will be between 2 and 3 amperes per disk.  It probably closer to 2 amperes for modern drives but finding the actual number is usually very difficult!)  For this reason, it is recommended that PS for Unraid have a single +12V rail. 

7 minutes ago, unthinking-pretender1681 said:

and I didnt have enough sata power cables for all 11 drives (8x5400rpm, 3xSSD) so I had to use power splitters:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B012BPLW08?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Use both splitter cables to minimize the number of drives on each one.  Double check that all SATA cables (both power and data) are securely seated.  (The SATA connector is a poster child for how not to design a connector!)

4 hours ago, unthinking-pretender1681 said:

and I didnt have enough sata power cables for all 11 drives (8x5400rpm, 3xSSD) so I had to use power splitters:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B012BPLW08?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

You cannot reliably split a SATA power connection more than 2 ways without risk of voltage drops.   You can get away with a 4-way Molex->SATA splitter as the Molex connector has connectors that can take a higher current draw.