6.12.4 Server randomly goes unresponsive requiring reboot.

Jryski
Go to solution Solved by Jryski,

This server has been stable for 2-3 years, no changes to hardware or configuration since this began. The server goes unresponsive from all remote connectivity. I'm not sure about local, I'm waiting for another failure top verify if anything is accessible locally, I was running headless. Dockers stop responding, UI, SSH, all completely dead. A restart brings it back up. I'm including the Diagnostic from just after the last 2 failures and recovery. I don't see anything in the logs, but I'm hoping there's a clue in the files.

ASRock X570 Taichi

ryzen 9 5950x

128 GiB DDR4 GSKILL Memory

unimatrixzero-diagnostics-20231207-1722.zip unimatrixzero-diagnostics-20231205-1604.zip

While scrubbing the Syslog for personal details, I found this.

[Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.
[Hardware Error]: CPU:1 (19:21:0) MC21_STATUS[-|CE|MiscV|-|PCC|-|CECC|-|-|-]: 0x8b48c03108508948
[Hardware Error]: IPID: 0x0000000000000000
[Hardware Error]: Bank 21 is reserved.
[Hardware Error]: cache level: RESV, tx: GEN

I'm exploring the potential that this is the cause, and will be changing "typical  idle current" as I've read this can cause random stability issues. If this is the case I will post for posterity.

15 hours ago, Scheev said:

What is your current USB?

I was having really similar issues where my syslog was showing corrupted data. Same behavior as you're describing, after a few days things would just gradually stop working, requiring a reboot.

SAMSUNG MUF-32AB/AM FIT Plus 32GB

17 minutes ago, Scheev said:

To my understanding and research, USB 3+ keys are not ideal for use with Unraid.

I would recommend moving to a USB 2.0 key.

This is not always that easy any more as USB2 drives are getting harder to find.

If a USB3.x drive needs to be used then it is definitely worth seeing if an USB2 port on the server can be used.   Even if they do not have an external USB2 port I think most motherboards still tend to have a USB2 header on the motherboard that can be used with the appropriate adapter/cable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after running memtest and getting passes, rebuilding the docker image, checking the SMART on all drives, changing all BIOS settings to recommended setting, removing the XMP profile on the RAM, it's still freezing. I've checked all the logs and all I see is mover running, mover completes and nothing else is written to the logs, the server simply stops responding.  I've had this happen while under load and while idle. The flash drive is only 3 months old, I had it fail on me a few months ago. I'm at a loss here.

• Solution

I made the move to IPVLAN i also made these changes...

Host access to custom networks:

Enabled

Preserve user defined networks:

Yes

All issues have ceased. This is not an ideal solution, but it's working for me for now. I'm now at 48 hours stable and error free for the first time in months. I'm not sure why they call this issue resolved in this version, as it's clearly still an issue, but I'm stable for now. Thanks for the help along the way.