Noob boot help!

stab

Hi - go easy on me I'm a virgin!

Attempting to set up a N36l Microserver as an unRaid box.

I've used unetbootin to create the unRAID flash boot drive on my Mac with a Kingston Data Traveller 2, plugged it in, set the Emulation Type to Forced FDD etc

I've currently got no drives installed and no ethernet cable plugged in.

When I start it up, it gets past POST PROMPTS and then

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 3C D9 D9 etc GUID: etc

DHCP with a / spinning

PXE-E53: No boot filename received

and thats as far as I get!

I've tried looking extensively on the forums/wiki for help.

where to now?

OK, I worked out it was trying to boot from the network so I turned that off in the bios.

Now I get to a blue screen with 'UNetbootin' at the top.

Below is 'Default'

and then in Red "Press [Tab] to edit options

"Automatic boot in 10 seconds"

It counts down and nothing happens...

OK, I worked out it was trying to boot from the network so I turned that off in the bios.

Now I get to a blue screen with 'UNetbootin' at the top.

Below is 'Default'

and then in Red "Press [Tab] to edit options

"Automatic boot in 10 seconds"

It counts down and nothing happens...

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using unetbootin to load a flash drive with unRAID.  The silence and absence of responses are because you are trying something nobody else has experience with to give guidance.

I've heard of people using GRUB, and syslinux, but not unetbootin (which usually needs an ISO image, doesn't it?)

Joe L

I tried to make the boot flash drive using xp and windows 7 and it wasn't working so I've been trying this on my mac

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation#MacOS_X_-_Windows_-_Linux

I had never seen that in the wiki.

I would try a different flash drive.  Many BIOS don't like some flash drives for some reason, older BIOS can't deal with larger size flash drives (over 2Gig drives did not exist when they were written)

regardless of how you load the flash drive, you'll need to set the BIOS to boot from USB and also select the specific boot device.  On my BIOS it shows up as a bootable hard disk.

Sorry to hear your troubles,

You should try using windows again to setup your unRaid flash drive. The procedure posted on the website works as written. If that does not work for you then I believe there is another issue.

Setting up the flash per the procedure should take just a few minutes. I have setup up two using windows 7 and followed procedure step by step and both worked fine.  Check that bios setup again just to make sure. Maybe post some screen shots of bios setup screens associated with boot device selection and boot priority.

Good luck,

Jim S.

Its a 4GB data traveler... that make any difference?

The only things on the disk are

ldlinux.sys

menu.c32

syslinux.cfg

ubnfilel.txt

ubnpathl.txt

Is that all that should be on there?

It should contain the  entire contents of the unRAID zip file download. You are missing several files.

Its a 4GB data traveler... that make any difference?

The only things on the disk are

ldlinux.sys

menu.c32

syslinux.cfg

ubnfilel.txt

ubnpathl.txt

Is that all that should be on there?

It should contain the  entire contents of the unRAID zip file download. You are missing several files.

Thats what I thought.

I've tried just manually copying the missing files over but that doesn't work either.

I've tried the windows method using XP on VMware Fusion with these three drives too and that didn't work.

Bios wise, I've tried to copy these settings (although not the Russian bios part) seeing they worked for Tim.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1429720-tims-7-24tb-tiddler-unraid-nas.html

Archived