Network keeps switching from GBe to 100Mbps... Mover Issues?

djglenn
Go to solution Solved by MAM59,

I have been having an intermittent issue for the last few weeks in which transferring files from my PC to the unraid server (via network share) keeps dropping to a 100Mbps connection.

image.png.ca61b8655c8f021436f4a9fca00b6cc2.png

Restarting the server sets it back to a 1000Mbps connection, and can work for days or hours before reverting back to 100Mbps.

Checking the forms, most people suggest its faulty cable connections, so have replaced the cable / made sure connections are solid, but has not changed the issue.

Looking at the system log, it seems to have happened during the mover process, of which have had a host of problems, (renamed files in log to xxxxxxx for privacy), and then set the network connection spiraling into a problem and eventually defaults at 100Mbps?

I am far from an expert, so would greatly appreciate if anyone could give me avenues to explore as seems I have 2 problems of which am not sure if interlinked...

1. The network speed keeps defaulting to 100Mbps

2. My mover program isnt moving all files.

DGsyslog.txt

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Mover doesn't use the network, so not sure how it could be related to that, if changing the cable didn't help could be a NIC issue.

ok thanks for the reply, so definitely feels it would be most probably a hardware issue versus software? are their any pci based NICs that are generally reliable on unraid?

• Solution

check the cables. maybe one plug is lose, if a contact fails, but still 4 lines are ok, 100M is still possible to go. All 8 lines are needed for 1G.

Before you reboot, try to pull out the cable and replug it. This should usually "cure" the problem for some time. Try to find you which plug maybe lose, hot glue can be your friend then.