Tracking down what is causing disk errors on different drives

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hi, I am having issues with unraid server. Over the last couple months I keep getting disks with read errors and it kicks the drive to Unassigned Devices until I restart the device. I have had this with several different drives. I will remove the drive put it in a test server and do not get this issue. I put a new drive into the system to copy the data from the old drive to the new one. I just did this yesterday again and in the middle of copying data another drive gave errors. I restart the computer and now another drive says its missing that was working. I am at my wits end. Any ideas of what I can replace in hopes to fix this?

Things I have tried.

1 I replaced the sata cables.

2 I got a expander card for the raid card to bypass the sata controller on the mother board.

3 I have replaced the sas cables for the raid card.

4 unplugged and replugged everything multiple times.

filestorage-diagnostics-20231230-1636.zip

6 hours ago, trurl said:

Problems communicating with multiple disks. Power would be a suspect. Are there power splitters involved?

yes. i have 3x StarTech SATA 4 plug splitter and each one has a y splitter to power the 5th drive in each of the 3 rows of drives. each row of 5 drives has its own plug on the psu which is a Thermaltake Toughpower 750w module psu.