Official Stance on USB 3.x Ports & USB 3.x Drives in 2024?

I just bought an Unraid Plus license after spending $2000 on hardware for my 64TB NAS and it's using the ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard.

This motherboard, like most hardware in 2024+, does not have any USB 2.0 ports. USB 2.x is not required per official Unraid requirements but I am seeing horror stories and moderators rebuking USB 3.x on a very consistent basis. I'm trying to find a USB 2.x drive which is hard in 2024 but I don't have an issue trying to do this for now because I'll buy it, see if a GUID exists, and return if it doesn't then rinse/repeat.

However, I'm now faced with a major hardware issue if USB 2.x PORTS are needed because I'm using a Mini ITX build and space is key. I don't want to have to use my PCI-e 5 expansion to have legacy USB 2.x ports if I can avoid it.

Can we have an official stance from Unraid on this situation and is there a clearpath roadmap for USB 3.x support? If not, I may suggest partnering with a hardware manufacturer to produce USB 2.x drives and expansion cards because these are becoming obsolete.

In the mean time, I need to know a solution for my non-USB 3.x port issue and what my options are. I may need to request a refund if I need a different motherboard which would be a shame because I'm returning to Unraid after first using it with great satisfaction in 2011.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by bcboncs
  • bcboncs changed the title to Official Stance on USB 3.x Ports & USB 3.x Drives in 2024?
3 minutes ago, bcboncs said:

However, I'm now faced with a major hardware issue if USB 2.x PORTS are needed because I'm using a Mini ITX build and space is key. I don't want to have to use my PCI-e 5 expansion to have legacy USB 2.x ports if I can avoid it.

Your motherboard has a USB 2.0 header.

Just buy a 9-pin adapter and connect your USB 2.0 drive to it.

https://www.amazon.com/SinLoon-Female-Motherboard-Header-Adapter-Dual/dp/B0878S6BD5/ref=sr_1_20?crid=2DKTBUFKOTDFA&keywords=9+pin+usb+adapter&qid=1704552445&sprefix=9+pin+usb+adapter%2Caps%2C300&sr=8-20

24 minutes ago, bcboncs said:

Still think the USB 3.x support/roadmap/2.0 requirement warrants an update

It's not really a requirement, more like a commonly given advice to stay with USB 2.0 if possible, based on prior reliability experiences, also some other factors that you might want to get familiar with by reading the following threads:

On 1/6/2024 at 7:38 AM, bcboncs said:

Can we have an official stance from Unraid on this situation and is there a clearpath roadmap for USB 3.x support?

It's not really a matter of Unraid supporting USB 3.x (it does as well as it can) as much as it is motherboard and firmware manufacturers making USB 3.x implementations more consistent and stable.  I have three Unraid servers and one of them has a USB 3.0 flash drive in a USB 3.0 port and it runs without issues.  The other two have USB 2.0 flash drives in USB 2.0 ports.

USB 3.x tends to randomly disconnect more (very bad in the case of the Unraid flash drive) and the flash drives can run hotter shortening their lifespan.  The Linux kernels used in Unraid for many years have had USB 3.x support, but the hardware/firmware implementations on some motherboards have proven to be flaky. 

USB 2.0 is simply more consistent and stable and is therefore preferred but it is not an Unraid requirement because of lack of USB 3.x support.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Upvote 2
16 hours ago, bcboncs said:

I've read those already, those imply general counterfeiting of hardware which is different from the hardware requirement of a GUID and different than a USB 3.x reliability and roadmap discussion for 2024+.

Every legit USB drive comes with a unique GUID, regardless of the generational standard.

Therefore has no relation to Unraid requirements for having a unique GUID.

The actual USB key quality and its hardware implementation is the big variable that should be addressed by the end user.

I can see where your uneasiness comes from in regards of the reported issues associated with USB keys troubles.

And I'd agree with you on the need for an official take and recommendation published directly by LimeTech.

As it stands now, their Sandisk related PSA statement remains in the same form as when it has been published 2 years ago.

They also link the outdated and by now quite mis-leading recommendation for a reliable boot device in the form of the Spaceinvader's USB test which should have been updated by Spaceinvader by now and if not then removed altogether in the view of the available by now evidence.

It doesn't provide any favors to newcomers when they're being forced to read through multiple pages of the PSA thread just to get a general idea of the issues involved.

The Unraid's FAQ section should also need to be updated with a clear recommendation on the USB standards and a clear warning of the widespread counterfeited product and avoidance measures.

Edited by Lolight
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Hoopster said:

USB 3.x tends to randomly disconnect more (very bad in the case of the Unraid flash drive) and the flash drives can run hotter shortening their lifespan.

And not a word on those two shortcomings (to put it lightly), anywhere in Unraid Docs.

20 hours ago, Hoopster said:

The Linux kernels used in Unraid for many years have had USB 3.x support, but the hardware/firmware implementations on some motherboards have proven to be flaky.

Not to mention junky controller design of many USB 3.x devices combined with the standard's increased max bus power (=heat) - from 500 mA in USB 2.0 to 900 mA in USB 3.0.