Networking Settings with 2.5 gbe USB

****Sorry meant to post this to Genearl Support

Greetings,

A bit a of a networking noob. I have a mini pc with it's 1gb ethernet port connected as eth0, and a 2.5 gbe usb adapter connected as eth1. I'm looking for advice on how I should have this configured so my system is just using the 2.5 gbe connection. I imagine I can just unplug the 1gbe connection.

I started by giving them both a seperate IP address, but I got a message saying that it's probably not correct for them both to be have similar IP addresses (ie one eth0 192.168.1.50 and eth1 is 192.168.86.51). So I just pulled the plug on the 1gbe connection. That seems to work aside from the message that it is disconnected and br0 is down. But Docker containers work and Unraid has internet.

Is this okay? Is there a better way to configure this? Harm in having them both connected? Should I be using both connections and one as failover? Trying to keep things simple at first but if there's a more ideal way of setting this up I'm all ears.

My main use for this would be working directly over a 2.5 gbe connection through SMB for video projects. As well as Resilio Sync being able to use the higher speed for file syncing with another 2.5 gbe server.

Thank you.

Edited by outright1660
Wrong forum

Usually you can use the "network rules" section (or tab depending on you gui settings) to switch the MAC addresses of the cards.

Make the 2.5G one first, so it will become eth0. Thats enough. (and dont assign addresses, the automatic usually works better).

Beware: NEVER connect two cards to the same network at the same time! (unless you use bonding, but thats complicated and usually overestimated, so forget it)

grafik.thumb.png.6871d643502af489641711deb6c0e02c.png

Just select the other card from the pulldown list that opens if you click on the downarrow box with the mystical numbers 00:02:...

BUT: using an USB adapter is not the best idea. It maybe unstable.