Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Unraid

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Using Kopia to backup Unraid shares

Featured Replies

I managed to get Kopia running via docker (the official one). However, in the template there are no options to mount shares or folders so that I can backup those onto a second Unraid server. Does anyone know the docker variables to mount shares?

 

Edit: Found the solution myself. Went into the docker configuration and added a path, e.g. to backup comics:

 

Name: ComicsRoot

Container Path: /shares/ComicsRoot

Host Path: /mnt/user/Comics

 

This allows the Kopia docker to access the local share in Unraid.

Edited by Hiko0

  • 1 year later...

any luck with this? was looking into backing up one unraid server share into another and was liking what I was seeing with kopia but could not get the container to run as expected.

  • 6 months later...

I know, old topic. But I'm in the same situation.
I set up the docker, can also configure a remote repository. But after restarting the docker, it wont start again.

If I delete the repository file, I can start it up again.

Plan is to use Kopia on unraid to backup to antoher Kopia server.

  • 2 months later...

On 8/12/2025 at 10:54 AM, wyssli said:

I set up the docker, can also configure a remote repository. But after restarting the docker, it wont start again.

server start --insecure --address 0.0.0.0:51515 --server-username=XXX --server-password=XXX

The instructions with htpasswd is outdated. Kopia doesn't use the htpasswd file anymore. I used the above "post arguments" (under advanced view) to get Kopia to work. Replace XXX with your chosen username and password. Repo username and password can be same or different. References:

https://kopia.io/docs/installation/#docker-images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WFjk4Ak0b0

https://github.com/kopia/kopia/issues/880

  • 10 months later...
On 10/28/2025 at 6:39 AM, JDemiDawg said:

server start --insecure --address 0.0.0.0:51515 --server-username=XXX --server-password=XXX

The instructions with htpasswd is outdated. Kopia doesn't use the htpasswd file anymore. I used the above "post arguments" (under advanced view) to get Kopia to work. Replace XXX with your chosen username and password. Repo username and password can be same or different. References:

https://kopia.io/docs/installation/#docker-images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WFjk4Ak0b0

https://github.com/kopia/kopia/issues/880

DAWG is quite fitting, kinda saved myself a lot of research for this. Thanks man )

  • 1 month later...

Hi all -- I just wanted to add how I recommend to configure the Repository Server function, as the official instructions assume some things that are not in-play with Docker/UnRAID.

If you've followed these instructions above to get started, they certain worked for me! But I wanted to backup machines in my LAN, not just my UnRAID folders. To do that, it seems, you need to use different configurations to make this work. And -- I'm not certain this'll work with an existing setup. It appears the local repo you create holds some of this cert info. I ended up wiping my appdata and repo (it was brand new) to make the below work.

So: Open up your container template, and ensure you're on Advanced View. Then, go ahead and create a new Variable, KOPIA_SERVER_CONTROL_PASSWORD, and provide that value.

Next, create a Path, call it Certs, with the Container Path of /certs and the Host Path being a /certs sub-folder under wherever you store you Kopia AppData.

Then, update your Post Arguments to now read as follows (note this is a one-time run):

server start  --tls-generate-cert --tls-cert-file /certs/my.cert --tls-key-file /certs/my.key  --address 0.0.0.0:51515   --server-control-username control --server-username=<USERNAME_FOR_SERVER> --server-password=<PASSWORD_FOR_SERVER>

Then re-start the container and open up the logs. If the above is successful, the logs will contain the critical SERVER CERT that you need to store like a password:

SERVER CERT SHA256: <SERVER_CERT_TO_TREAT_LIKE_PASSWORD-STORE_IT_NOW>
writing TLS certificate to /certs/my.cert
writing TLS private key to /certs/my.key
SERVER ADDRESS: https://[::]:51515
Open the address above in a web browser to use the UI.

(Caution! Do not re-start this container until you do the next section to avoid errors upon start!)

Note that your URL to access the UI also changes! You're now on https, not http, same host and port. You'll know you're on right URL if it throws warnings about "Your connection is not private" (on Chrome-based browsers) or "Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead" (Firefox-based ones). So test and confirm you can login with your USERNAME_FOR_SERVER and PASSWORD_FOR_SERVER. If good, double-check you've stored securely the SERVER_CERT_TO_TREAT_LIKE_PASSWORD-STORE_IT_NOW value, please.

Now let's remove the part that will cause start failures if you restart the container. Close that login window (this avoids annoying CRSF errors in log) and go back to your container template. Edit it to remove the "--tls-generate-cert" command:

server start --tls-cert-file /certs/my.cert --tls-key-file /certs/my.key  --address 0.0.0.0:51515   --server-control-username control --server-username=<USERNAME_FOR_SERVER> --server-password=<PASSWORD_FOR_SERVER>

Hit apply and let the container restart.

Now, you'll pass that SERVER_CERT_TO_TREAT_LIKE_PASSWORD-STORE_IT_NOW value when your Kopia client connects to your Repository Server, and it should work a charm. )

Good luck!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.