System shutting down, CPU Fan

Go to solution Solved by Cupid,

Hello, helpful community. 

I have noticed the past few days my machine's CPU fan (AIO cooler) has been on high at times when I feel it shouldn't. 

The only demanding thing it runs is a Plex docker. It was even running high when only one stream was playing and also running on high when nothing was playing. 

It also had an unclean shutdown last night. 

I can't find it in the settings to save syslogs. Has that setting moved with the update? I can only get the syslogs after I restarted. 

What do you think could be the problem? Hardware or software? 

Thank you for all your support.

tower-diagnostics-20240114-1157.zip

I did some troubleshooting on my own and found when I removed my second HBA card every thing was fine temperature wise. Obviously I had some missing disks. 

I looked at the CPU usage with htop and it said SHFS was using 100%. I don't know what that is, but other posts talked about the dynamix directory cache plugin. 

I have disabled it and everything seems to be much better. Less usage and normal temperatures. 

syslog-192.168.0.103.log

Unfortunately there's nothing relevant logged, this usually points to a hardware issue, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

I reapplied it twice. 

Everything seems back to normal now that I removed cache directory and net data. 

htop said those were taking up 140% of my cpu power. 

Has anyone else had something like this before? 

Edited by Cupid
11 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

Isn't this a bit like saying your car overheats when you drive on the highway, and you fixed your car by not going on the highway any more?

Seems you need to find the root cause of the issue,  Something isn't right with your system.

Perhaps. but I don't know what else to do. I used a different cooler as well and it was still the same result with all dockers closed. 

Should a plugin really be taking up that much CPU power?

On 1/18/2024 at 7:03 AM, itimpi said:

Is the system actually shutting down rather than crashing and becoming unresponsive?   If so this is almost certainly a hardware error with the most likely candidates being thermal (e.g. CPU overheating) or PSU struggling to provide sufficient power.

Or motherboard power stages are marginal/failing, BIOS settings wrong.  BIOS needs updating,  just a few that come to mind.