mkdir folder in ssh is creating shares.

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

as my subject states 'mkdir folder in ssh is creating shares.' the strange thing beyond the obvious strangeness of that is i created a folder directly on a cache drive and the resulting automatic share that was created, was an 'array' only share.

can anyone tell me, is this. 'new' expected behaviour and is there a place to change options on this?

i don't want every folder i create to then create a share.  i especially don't want automatically created shares to have 'incorrect' settings.

i tried a search of the forums but i couldn't find anyone else dealing with this behaviour.

cheers.

• Solution
36 minutes ago, xtrap225 said:

as my subject states 'mkdir folder in ssh is creating shares.' the strange thing beyond the obvious strangeness of that is i created a folder directly on a cache drive and the resulting automatic share that was created, was an 'array' only share.

can anyone tell me, is this. 'new' expected behaviour and is there a place to change options on this?

i don't want every folder i create to then create a share.  i especially don't want automatically created shares to have 'incorrect' settings.

i tried a search of the forums but i couldn't find anyone else dealing with this behaviour.

cheers.

If you have User Shares enabled then it is normal for every top level folder on a drive to automatically become a User Share with default settings and Unraid has always worked like this. 

thanks, i never realized this, i guess i previously more studious organizing prevented me from noticing this.

however it would be nice if you create something directly on a cache share that it creates a cache share rather than an array only share.

1 hour ago, xtrap225 said:

however it would be nice if you create something directly on a cache share that it creates a cache share rather than an array only share

This is not how it works although I guess it could be a feature request.   You need to go into the share settings and make sure it set to only be on the cache.

yes i. understand thanks.  that might be a difficult feature to implement.

the real feature request I would prefer, is to be to have an option to not create shares from top level folder automatically.

it just clutters up the shares list with a bunch of 'shares' that aren't exports.

3 hours ago, xtrap225 said:

the real feature request I would prefer, is to be to have an option to not create shares from top level folder automatically.

I do not see that happening as it has been standard behaviour in Unraid for a very long time now.  What is your Use Case for creating top level folders anyway?

As a workaround why not create one share (and set it to only exist on the drive you want) and then create further folders within that.