Complete Array Backup

addohm

I want to change my raid array to ZFS.  What is the best way to back up the entire array?  I don't pretend to fully understand the file system structure with Unraid so please, dumb it down and flesh it out for me :)

I have a portable large enough to hold all the contents of the array.  Im assuming I use rsync, but I have no idea what files\folders to rsync.  Im probably wrong anyway. lol

Edited by addohm

If 1 external drive can hold all of the data, that would be a convenient way to go. Rsync should work fine.

You'd want to make sure /mnt/disk*/* is sync'd over to the backup drive.

Another way would be to use Unbalace(d) to zero out and convert one drive at a time by moving one disk's contents to the other disks. That's assuming you have the spare capacity. 

Curious why you want convert the entire Array over. You'll get some benefits but not all the benefits of ZFS(you can check for corrupted files but not repair them for example)

Edited by foo_fighter

as usual I should add the warning "Do not use ZFS in the UNRAID array" (at least not now). There are serious problems with speed, they are investigating, but unless it is fixed, zfs is an absolute NO-GO (but can be used for pools).

If you dare to move the array be prepared to move it back soon again.

(you will find a lot of threads here if you search)

1 hour ago, foo_fighter said:

If 1 external drive can hold all of the data, that would be a convenient way to go. Rsync should work fine.

You'd want to make sure /mnt/disk*/* is sync'd over to the backup drive.

Another way would be to use Unbalace(d) to zero out and convert one drive at a time by moving one disk's contents to the other disks. That's assuming you have the spare capacity. 

Curious why you want convert the entire Array over. You'll get some benefits but not all the benefits of ZFS(you can check for corrupted files but not repair them for example)

btrfs has been giving me crap lately and since unraid seems to be heading towards zfs I was going to switch.  No repair sounds bad though :D  How about xfs?

1 hour ago, addohm said:

since unraid seems to be heading towards zfs I was going to switch.

False. unRAID is not heading towards zfs. They have added it as an option but have made no indications that they are moving away from XFS or BTRFS. Nor are they recommending it above the XFS or BTRFS except in the specific case for people who are looking to get he maximum possible read / write performance from a drive pool. My personal opinion is that their reason for adding ZFS support boils down to satisfying a fairly vocal group of customers (and potential customers) who come from TrueNAS and believe that ZFS is best filesystem. Also my personal opinion, but I dont think ZFS offers any advantages over BTRFS when used as a single drive FS in the unRAID array.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1