udma crc error count is 1

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Hi,

I had this error show up yesterday whilst I was transferring files to my Unraid server. One transfer was being done using the upload function in 

Dynamix File Manager and the other was using Windows, both transfers were being done at the same time and the files were exactly the same as I noticed Dynamix File Manager was a lot slower (they were being uploaded to different locations).

I received this error udma crc error count is 1 ST8000NE001-2M7101_WKD2JTVD (sdf) does this mean that the drive is failing and needs replacing?

In the screenshot attached is says the drive has an error...

Thanks

screenshot.jpg

• Solution

No.  A UDMA error is  a communication error between the drive and the MB. 

The connection is serial data transmission and it has a CRC check code embedded.  The error message indicates that the transmitted CRC code did not match the code calculated by the receiving device.  The data block is then re-transmitted until the codes match.  So there is no hard error that would result in data loss!  

Most of the time (when there are hundreds of errors in a very short period of time), replacement of the SATA data cable with checks to make sure that the SATA connectors are fully seated is the standard procedure.   In your case, you can click on that error icon (can't remember if it is right-or-left click) and acknowledge the error.  You will be notified if it happens again.   (I had one disk with 1823  CRC errors on it for over two years and the count never increased after that initial burst.  I did replace it when I needed more storage space a few months ago.)

Oh that's great! Thanks for confirming. I haven't had any other errors since that one yesterday.

I will check the SATA connector although I haven't opened the machine for a few months so I don't think it would be that unless they can come loose over time?

Thanks again :)

16 minutes ago, matt3 said:

I will check the SATA connector although I haven't opened the machine for a few months so I don't think it would be that unless they can come loose over time?

The SATA connector is the Poster Child for how not to design a connector system.   It is very susceptible to vibration and to being loosened when the cable is disturbed by being moved.  (I would not recommend tying SATA cables together to 'dress up' the interior of the case as this can subject all of the cables in the grouping to displacement forces when one cable is moved for any reason.)

Personally, I would not open the case to check the cables with only one error.  You might cause more problems then you 'fix'.  If you ever do check the cables, make sure that they are all seated.  Do it twice being very careful on the second check.  And do everything-- both ends, Data and Power. 

Edited by Frank1940
1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

The SATA connector is the Poster Child for how not to design a connector system.   It is very susceptible to vibration and to being loosened when the cable is disturbed by being moved.  (I would not recommend tying SATA cables together to 'dress up' the interior of the case as this can subject all of the cables in the grouping to displacement forces when one cable is moved for any reason.)

Personally, I would not open the case to check the cables with only one error.  You might cause more problems then you 'fix'.  If you ever do check the cables, make sure that they are all seated.  Do it twice being very careful on the second check.  And do everything-- both ends, Data and Power. 

Ah OK, the case I have is pretty small so I can't do any cable management. When I'm next cleaning the case out I'll make sure they're all pushed in correctly :)

Thanks