Issue with ram usage increase to instability after zfs memory usage max and drop loop

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

26 minutes ago, techystreamer said:

I see the zfs rise to max

This is normal, it represents the percentage of the ARC being used, it's normal (and better for performance) to always be close to 100%.

The instability is almost certainly unrelated, I see on the log some possible AMD GPU issues, also some SMB related call traces.

18 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

This is normal, it represents the percentage of the ARC being used, it's normal (and better for performance) to always be close to 100%.

The instability is almost certainly unrelated, I see on the log some possible AMD GPU issues, also some SMB related call traces.

I know this. But yesterday I noticed that the rise in ram continuation happens after it hits 100%, it then drops from 100, then rises again to 100, then the ram incremently rises abit. This continues until the ram is maxed and system instability. I have used zfs for about 4 months without issue and understand zfs uses 100%. Whats unusual to me is that it seems to transfer to extra ram use in the ram bar, then continue to rise ram until unstable.

The ARC size should be fixed, at least it is by default, if the main RAM keeps going there may be something else using it, check the current ARC size in GB:

awk '/^size/ { print $1 " " $3 / 1048576 }' < /proc/spl/kstat/zfs/arcstats

After you notice the RAM usage increasing check again to see if it's different.

• Solution
4 minutes ago, techystreamer said:

Is there a way to determine from that diagnostics report what could be causing the ram increase problem?

Not that I can see, you can try disabling docker and VM services, then enable just the services, test to see if everything is stable, if yes, start enabling the containers and VMs one by one and retest.