Is it possible to run install/ run docker not using the gui?

Go to solution Solved by primeval_god,

I'm trying to learn docker.  Unraid makes this pretty easy.  Though I'd like to learn it via console, and typing the commands.  Is this possible?  Is docker compose possible as well?

Currently, I'm running Unraid with 3 drives, all in the array.  No cache drive.  Is it still possible to use docker via console?

• Solution
11 hours ago, jang430 said:

Is it still possible to use docker via console?

It is but it is not recommended. Containers run through the console will not be particularly controllable via the webui.

Is docker compose possible as well?

There is a plugin which installs compose and allows for managing basic compose stacks via the webui. Like dockerman however its designed to support compose stacks run through its ui interface not via the console or other methods. Compose stacks launched via means other then the composeman interface will not integrate with the interface. 

I'm trying to learn docker.  Unraid makes this pretty easy.  Though I'd like to learn it via console, and typing the commands. 

If your goal is just learning docker or learning to manage docker systems in general i would not recommend unRAID as the way to do it. unRAID is not a general docker host. unRAID focuses on docker containers as convenient way to have "apps" rather than being a general host for the myriad of other ways containerization can be used (microservices, clusters, C/I setups, etc). Many of the best practices of docker on unRAID are not the more general docker way of doing  things (bind mounts preferred over container volumes for instance or running everything as root). If learning about docker is your goal i recommend using a VM or LXC container with a more general linux OS to host your container playground. Leave unRAID the unRAID docker host for running your important NAS services (media servers, backup servers, sync etc.).