DNS resolution

Go to solution Solved by Vr2Io,

I'm hoping someone can help me because I feel I am seriously missing the concept of DNS and what I am trying to achieve.

Short version

I have a VLAN80 network for the dedicated game servers containers I am hosting on unraid, this network has restricted access to the rest of the network, quite standard.

In opnsense i have set networks to use different DNS servers set via the DHCP settings for the related network. For some reason that i do not understand VLAN80 needs a rule to allow 53 to LAN. I suspect unraid Containers use host’s DNS settings?

Long version

I read that using the same DNS servers for each network could expose the internal network structure. So with that in mind, I have configured VLAN80 to use Cloudflare as an external DNS resolver.

To clarify

SYSTEM: SETTINGS: GENERAL: DNS servers = 9.9.9.9, 149.112.112.112
SERVICES: DHCPV4: [VLAN80_DMZ]: DNS servers = 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1

Services: Unbound DNS: General
Network Interfaces =     LAN
Outgoing Network Interfaces     = WAN

• Using `dig` devices on LAN use the default DNS.
  • Using `dig` devices on VLAN80 use the CloudFlare DNS.
  • Devices on VLAN80 have internet access but can't access LAN network.
  • Devices on VLAN80 are assigned the correct IP, I.e. 10.0.80.23

Here is the problem

• unraid containers using the bond0.80 network (VLAN80) do not have internet ` # docker run --rm --network bond0.80 busybox nslookup www.google.com ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached`
  • Starting the game server containers fail to load, and using packet capture I can see requests to LAN port 53. 
ethertype IPv4 (0x0800), length 79: (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 11339, offset 0, flags [DF], proto UDP (17), length 65)
    10.0.80.25.59421 > 192.168.1.1.53: [udp sum ok] 6081+ A? cdn.steamstatic.com. (37)
ethertype IPv4 (0x0800), length 79: (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 16259, offset 0, flags [DF], proto UDP (17), length 65)
    10.0.80.25.49361 > 192.168.1.1.53: [udp sum ok] 6081+ A? cdn.steamstatic.com. (37)
  • So I created an `Allow Port 53 from VLAN80 net to Lan net`. Sure enough the game server containers start up. 

Why is it needing access to LAN, going back to the  start wasn't the point to not expose the internal network?