(Solved) Docker container does not respect port settings while using custom network

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Hi all,

I am struggling with docker not respecting the port settings of the template when using a custom network on eth1. I don't remember this being an issue in the past (I haven't played with unraid for game servers for years now. So maybe it's new? I'm not sure) I am using Unraid Version: 6.12.6

Attached are some photos of my settings. In this example Binhex Crafty 4 has an insane amount of ports open for bedrock edition. I don't play bedrock and removed the settings for these ports in the config. When I am in bridge mode it uses the config and creates a smaller list of open ports. When I used br1 it does not listen to my settings and uses all the ports. I would like it to use my custom network as that is the one I only have public facing game servers port forwarded through my firewall.

I also tried just changing port number but it doesn't change anything when using the custom network.

I have been googling around for a couple days now and have come up short. I am not even sure what to "name" this problem. 

I tried using Portainer to see if a "more advance" docker management system would fix this and I didn't have any luck. 

Edit/clarficiation:

I removed these ports from the template: 8000:8000, 19132-19232:19132-19232/tcp,  19132-19232:19132-19232/udp (but in the screenshot you can see with br1 it uses all 201 of these ports)

If anyone has any advice or guides I can follow that would be great!

bridge netwrok.png

custom network container settings.png

custom network settings.png

custom network.png

docker settings.png

Edited by DoINeedATag
Clarification
  • Solution

When you assign a specific IP address to a container, there is no mapping needed or applied. All ports are directly exposed on that IP.

The bridge setting shares the servers IP, so only mapped ports are exposed, and those can be redirected as needed to deconflict multiple containers sharing the same IP.

When you assign a unique IP to a container any port settings are managed in the application itself. Unraid's UI will still show the port settings, but they do nothing.

• DoINeedATag changed the title to (Solved) Docker container does not respect port settings while using custom network