(SOLVED) "DEVICE IS DISABLED..." after reseating PCIe -> SATA card

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hey,

Today, unfortunately, I encountered the message "DEVICE IS DISABLED, CONTENTS EMULATED." It seems highly unlikely that the hard drive or the cable is at fault, as both are only about two months old. I've initiated an extended SMART test, but it looks like it will take over 30+ hours to complete for the hard drive.

My assumption is that the hard drive was disabled due to a bug. However, I'm not certain, which is why I'm posting in this forum and not the report bugs one.

In recent days, as I've been experimenting with OPNsense and VMs, I've frequently reseated my PCIe cards. Just yesterday, I moved a PCIe -> SATA card (http://tinyurl.com/2482fvxk), which only had the now-disabled hard drive connected, to a different PCIe slot.

Additionally, I noticed that the card appeared under "Other PCI Devices:" in my Windows VM, with a checkmark next to it, even though I had never passed through the IOMMU group of the SATA controller.

My suspicion is that the slot currently occupied by the PCIe -> SATA card was previously used by a NIC or USB PCIe card that was assigned to the VM.

The diagnostic files attached were unfortunately captured after a restart, but idk, they might still be helpful.

- What should my next steps be?

- Should I cancel the test and start rebuilding?
- Since the array had been started in the meantime, the data is definitely no longer synchronized. Do I need to create a new configuration under (Tools -> New Config), assign the hard drives as before, and then Unraid will rebuild the drive?

Henrik

unraidserver-diagnostics-20240214-1501.zip

• Solution
17 minutes ago, henrik38 said:

My assumption is that the hard drive was disabled due to a bug. However, I'm not certain, which is why I'm posting in this forum and not the report bugs one.

Not a good assumption. Glad you posted in General Support.

Unraid disables a disk when a write to it fails for any reason.

17 minutes ago, henrik38 said:

frequently reseated my PCIe cards. Just yesterday, I moved a PCIe -> SATA card (http://tinyurl.com/2482fvxk), which only had the now-disabled hard drive connected, to a different PCIe slot.

Additionally, I noticed that the card appeared under "Other PCI Devices:" in my Windows VM, with a checkmark next to it, even though I had never passed through the IOMMU group of the SATA controller.

My suspicion is that the slot currently occupied by the PCIe -> SATA card was previously used by a NIC or USB PCIe card that was assigned to the VM.

All that seems like it might be related. Did you notice if the disk got disabled soon after reboot? Have you resolved all these issues?

And glad you posted before doing anything since it seems you are unclear how to proceed.

10 minutes ago, henrik38 said:

Do I need to create a new configuration under (Tools -> New Config), assign the hard drives as before, and then Unraid will rebuild the drive?

New Config can only rebuild parity and is definitely not the way to proceed if you want to rebuild a data disk. And rebuilding the data disk is what you want to do since it is the one out-of-sync. Parity emulation has the missing write that disabled the disk, and any subsequent writes that might have gone to the emulated disk.

SMART for disk4 looks fine. Probably a connection problem but we can't see when the disk got disabled since you rebooted.

Emulated disk4 is mounted and has plenty of data. Should be OK to rebuild on top.

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#rebuilding-a-drive-onto-itself

Thank you for the quick response

All that seems like it might be related. Did you notice if the disk got disabled soon after reboot? Have you resolved all these issues?

Yeah, due to the Fix Common Problems plugin, I noticed this right after a restart, before I moved the PCIe card to a different slot, everything was okay.
Btw., I didn't move the PCIe -> SATA card yesterday but today. (I mixed something up)

I "fixed" it by removing the card (SATA Controller) from "Other PCI Devices:". After that, there was an error message in the disk log, something along the lines of the controller/disk not supporting hot swap. Then I restarted Unraid, and the SATA controller from the PCIe card was no longer visible under "Other PCI Devices:".

And glad you posted before doing anything since it seems you are unclear how to proceed.

Yeah I see haha. Could have ended bad.

Maybe due to the controller going missing.

But isn't that a huge problem? What if it had happened to me when two or more HDDs were connected to the controller?

Shouldn't Unraid recognize the controller and the hard drives when the PCIe card has changed slots?

And why was the card then automatically assigned to my VM without me passing through the IOMMU group (I didn't even thought that was possible lol)?

Thank you! I will then cancel the smart test (in my opinion, it's very unlikely that it's due to the HDD) and follow the instructions.

Edited by henrik38
2 minutes ago, henrik38 said:

And why was the card then automatically assigned to my VM without me passing through the IOMMU group (I didn't even thought that was possible lol)?

When you change the PCIe slit then it’s hardware id can change.   If the new id happens to correspond to some hardware that you passed through to a VM then this can cause problems as the vfio level isolation takes that hardware away from Unraid.   Unraid has no way to know that this was unintentional.    It is always a good idea to temporarily disable VMs anytime you do a significant change (hardware or OS) to avoid such issues until you have had a chance to check things out.

That's good to know, thank you.

When I want to replace my PCIe/SATA card with one that has more than 2 SATA ports, the hardware ID will be different, right? Would I then lose all the data from the two connected drives, even when i disabled VMs prior, because unraid thinks it has lost connection to the sata controller?

14 minutes ago, henrik38 said:

That's good to know, thank you.

When I want to replace my PCIe/SATA card with one that has more than 2 SATA ports, the hardware ID will be different, right? Would I then lose all the data from the two connected drives, even when i disabled VMs prior, because unraid thinks it has lost connection to the sata controller?

No.     Hardware id is only relevant if it is being passed through to a VM.

Unraid identifies drives by their serial number, not by how they are connected.   As long as both old and new cards report this the same way the switch is transparent.

• henrik38 changed the title to (SOLVED) "DEVICE IS DISABLED..." after reseating PCIe -> SATA card