Unable to passthrough RX 6800XT to Unraid VM

Go to solution Solved by tophat17,

Hello Everyone, 

I just built myself a new server with the hope of doing a GPU passthrough to a windows VM to stream games remotely. Unfortunately I have run into an issue and can not, no matter how hard I try get the passthrough working. 

My system specs are:

R9 5950x, 

RX 6800XT (pcie slot 1)

GTX 1050ti (pcie slot 2)

Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI, 

image.png.cf9be4ecdca96f36ac5065f9b1f07d75.png

I am able to spin up a VM when using noVNC, no problem; I can get into windows. HMV and IOMMU is enabled. 

I have tiered booting my bios with in Legacy and UEFI mode, no different, wont work either way. 

image.thumb.png.ac591c7295df8d90269150512093f298.png

What baffles me is Im able to boot into the Windows VM when I passthrough the card, I can see on the unraid dashboard that the card is though put is enabled. 

image.thumb.png.f59402e827816d6256c33174fd5c4c49.png

In the XPM config file, same thing, I configured the GPU with its auto and video device on the same bus and enabled multifunction on the card.

---

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'>

----

And to put the cherry on the top of this confusion cake, I'm able to boot into the windows VM, no errors are being thrown at me when I start the VM and remote into it with TeamViewer. But, when I open the VM device manger, the GPU is suspectedly missing. 

image.png.8c869f52da2e63d52411dde3ef1066de.png

At this point, frankly, I am confused beyond belief and I think I have tired every single combination under the sun to get the GPU passed though, no dice.  Obviously something is set incorrectly. Id really appreciate a second opinion because im coming up on 8 hours of troubleshooting ad haven't made any headway. 

I have tired with an without the vBios, Iv tired a Linux VM and Windows VM, iv tired UEFI and Legacy boot modes, enabling unsafe interrupts, PCIE overrides, and cant get the card to show up on the VM. 

If anybody out there had any ideas for what else I could try, please throw me a line. Going into this project I thought it was going to be much more simple then the issues I am facing now. 

Thanks. 

Update: 

I attempted to pass though my GTX 1050TI and the issue is the same as the 6800xt. I can set the passthrough in the unraid VM configurator template, boot up the VM, and see in the VM that no GPU is being passed through. I suspect I have a general configuration error, rather then a GPU issue. 

If anyone has any ideas on how to solve this issue, please let me know, any help is appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Okay, we're making progress. I found part of the solution by trail by fire.   

I found that because I have an Nvidia and AMD GPU in the same system, I was getting a strange driver error.  Before I had "Latest" pre-selected as my branch. After changing it to production, the card shows up in Unraid, but with the error 43. Can you recommend how to fix this issue? Thanks. 

image.thumb.png.87a99d5f5f5de1388af604d4078dd667.png

image.thumb.png.ab717a620c7483b501d823ffe2a91efb.png

gpn-server-diagnostics-20240305-2152.zip