Unmountable Cache Disk after replaced to bigger Disk

AD-963

Hello everyone

I've got 256GB NVMe Cache Disk and wanted to replace it with a bigger Disk since I got one (1TB NVMe).

I stopped Arrays and shut my Unraid Server down then cloned the 256GB one to the new 1TB Disk locally using my PC and Clonzilla Software (worked perfectly), then I installed the new Cache Disk into the Server after removing the old one and booted it, the Server recognized the Disk and I'm able to select it under Cache Disks, but unfortunately I can't start the array even in Maintenance Mode.

I thought It won't be a problem since I'v a Parity Disk (1TB extern SSD), so I'll easily restore Data from Parity and overwrite it to the new Cache Disk, but also it didn't gave me that choice too.

I think the reason for this is that the total size of the Array disks has become larger than the Parity Disk size.

What can I do now?

Can anyone help? Please!

Unraid Version: 6.12.6

Screenshot

Unraid Server.png

ad-svr-diagnostics-20240226-1638.rar

56 minutes ago, AD-963 said:

thought It won't be a problem since I'v a Parity Disk (1TB extern SSD), so I'll easily restore Data from Parity and overwrite it to the new Cache Disk

Cache is not part of the parity array so not possible.

You will have to New Config to allow the new cache to be assigned in place of the old cache. You can check the Parity Valid checkbox. The new cache has no effect on parity since cache is not part of parity as mentioned.

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#reset-the-array-configuration

If it turns out that the new cache disk is unmountable, then the cloning didn't work as well as you think.

Keep the original cache in case you need to copy its data.

57 minutes ago, AD-963 said:

I think the reason for this is that the total size of the Array disks has become larger than the Parity Disk size

Just thought I would also comment on this to clear up this misunderstanding.

Parity only has to be as large as the largest single data disk in the parity array. And, of course, cache has nothing at all to do with this since it isn't in the array.

Parity is not a backup and contains none of your data. Parity is just an extra bit that allows the data for a missing disk to be calculated from all the other array disks.

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/what-is-unraid/#parity-protected-array

This does make me look closer and question the assignments you have for your array disks though.

Are the 2 array data disks both flash drives? Or is the Kingston an SSD? Either answer doesn't really make sense.

What are you trying to do?