Server becoming unresponsive multiple times a day

Hi,

Currently running 6.12.8 and the past couple of weeks started having problems with the server becoming unresponsive. Prior to this I was up running for months without issues. When it happens I can't access anything and have to hard reset the server. I've been trying to look at the previous logs and the only thing I've been seeing is that it happens right after the mover is finished. Not every time the mover runs but when it hangs, that is the last entry in the log.

Current hardware is:

Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MEG X570 ACE (MS-7C35) Version 1.0

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core @ 3600 MHz

32 GiB DDR4

Any help would be appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20240229-2012.zip

The syslog in the diagnostics is the RAM copy and only shows what happened since the reboot.   It could be worth enabling the syslog server to get a log that survives a reboot so we can see what happened prior to the reboot. The mirror to flash option is the easiest to set up, but if you are worried about excessive wear on the flash drive you can put your server’s address into the Remote Server field.

I setup remote syslog and this is what I have. Hopefully I did it correctly to capture everything. There were two times that it became unresponsive again after the mover ran where I had to hard reboot. One at 01:00 and again at 13:00 today. I did run the mover manually after the 01:00 and it ran with no issues and a few times after that as well.

syslog-192.168.50.68.log

Thanks for the suggestions. After the last lock up yesterday, I updated my bios and changed the Power Supply Control and disabled C-States. Also ran a memory test for 24 hours to rule a RAM problem out. It came back clean so that appears to be good. I will update after running for a while to see if this fixes things.

Posted (edited)

I tried running in safe mode yesterday and while it lasted longer it still locked up overnight. Not sure where to take my troubleshooting to next. 

Edit: I just read that I should have dockers disabled in safe mode which I did not do. Will give it another try with that. 

Edited by eman31

I've been running in safe mode for about 72 hours with no lock ups. What's a reasonable length to go to rule out a hardware issue? Once that time has passed, do I just start turning on dockers one by one and letting it run for a while to see if one is causing the problem? 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

After letting things run for a while, starting all my dockers one by one and letting them run for at least 24 hours before starting another one, it looks like the issue may be with my binhex-jellyfin application. As soon as I turn it on it eats up all my ram and pegs the cpu to 100%. I didn't let it run long enough for the system to crash but none of the others have acted like that.

Edited by eman31
5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If it doesn't crash in safe mode with the same containers running it could be a plugin.

I was thinking along the same lines yesterday but didn't see an obvious way to stop them and have never had a reason to before. Is there a way to turn off individual plugins like with the containers or do they need to be uninstalled?

Just now, eman31 said:

I was thinking along the same lines yesterday but didn't see an obvious way to stop them and have never had a reason to before. Is there a way to turn off individual plugins like with the containers or do they need to be uninstalled?

There is no GUI support for disabling a plugin without uninstalling.

you can do it manually by renaming the relevant .plg file on the config/plugins folder on the flash drive to have a different file extension (e.g .plgx) and then rebooting..   Reversing the process re-enables the plugin.    Advantage is any downloaded files and/or settings for the plugin remain intact on the flash drive.