New config tool; when to use?

On one server, I'm planning on replacing the entire array of smaller disks with larger disks and those smaller ones will be removed from the array.

I guess I'm not fully understanding the process. After all of the swap and rebuild processes (parity is first) are complete, I'll eventually run out of new disks to install but still have older disks in the server case. Now what? There isn't another machine to use temporarily, unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, JonathanM said:

After all the data on the disks to remove is copied elsewhere you run the new config, preserve all, apply, then go back to the main page and unassign all the disks you want to remove, then start the array and let it rebuild parity.

So there is some manual work to do with the data on the leftover disks? Transfer it to the new larger disks, I mean. 

Just now, jeff.lebowski said:

So there is some manual work to do with the data on the leftover disks? Transfer it to the new larger disks, I mean. 

Yep. Unraid never moves data from one array disk to another by itself. You can use the Dynamix File Manager plugin.

5 minutes ago, jeff.lebowski said:

I’ll look at DFM, but will probably be using MC. 

As long as you stay out of the /mnt/user tree, MC will be fine. DFM has built in safeguards to keep you from corrupting data by mixing user and disk paths.

I recommend copying vs. moving, that way your old disks remain intact as a backup, plus it's much faster because the parity drive doesn't get thrashed writing to both data disks each operation.

4 hours ago, JonathanM said:

As long as you stay out of the /mnt/user tree, MC will be fine. DFM has built in safeguards to keep you from corrupting data by mixing user and disk paths.

I recommend copying vs. moving, that way your old disks remain intact as a backup, plus it's much faster because the parity drive doesn't get thrashed writing to both data disks each operation.

Awesome. I always copy instead of move for stuff like this.

Thanks!