hitachi hard drives dying left and right

teamhood

Whats up with these Hitachi hard drives that I have? I had 2 x 400GB die and 1 x 200GB giving me tons of errors. These drives are about 2 years old and luckily I only lost all the data on one of the 400GB hds. It sure is a pain to follow all their rules about shipping hds! 

Also: have 2 Maxtor's that are giving tons of errors as well!!!!!

Anyone else notice their Hitachi drives seem to be worse than even Maxtors??

-Mike

Anyone else notice their Hitachi drives seem to be worse than even Maxtors??

I have about forty hard drives running from various manufacturers, and the only manufacturer that I've never had a failure with is Hitachi.  But that doesn't tell you anything, really.  There are two kinds of hard drives: Hard drives that have failed and hard drives that haven't failed yet.

If you're having a bunch of drives going bad on you in a cluster, you likely have one of two things happening.  Either you have a bunch of drives from the same lot, and that lot has a manufacturing defect (which is unlikely but possible), or you have an environmental problem.  Are things overheating?  The second quickest way to destroy a hard drive is to overheat it. 

The quickest way is to run it over with a truck.

There are two kinds of hard drives: Hard drives that have failed and hard drives that haven't failed yet.

It is only a matter of time before any drive fails... exactly the reason we have unRaid arrays.

I've had about one drive fail every two years in my house. (although I have more drives spinning than most folks at a given time)  The brand of drive does not seem to matter.  Today just pick a replacement one that is low-power, (translates to lower heat) and quiet, (better bearings) and the odds are it will last a while...unless you shock test it (by running it over or throwing it against a wall).

Joe L.

I would add "and the longest warranty"

Today just pick a replacement one that is low-power, (translates to lower heat) and quiet, (better bearings) and the odds are it will last a while...unless you shock test it (by running it over or throwing it against a wall).

Joe L.

Archived