Client lost data--unmountable unsupported no file system

I should have researched first before attempting to fix.

Client called, missing lots of documents. Server would not reboot, locked up somewhere. Came in, pulled plug. Reboot. System up. Missing most of data. Realize I have drive showing unmountable-no file system.

Thought I had a bad drive. Changed out 1tb with new 3tb. Reboot and sync. Still missing data.

Came to forums, found answer for this message. Too late now that I swapped the drive and did a rebuild?

Tried to put 1tb drive back in, got error about size cant be smaller. 

Still a way to put the old 1tb drive back in and do the XFS repair in maint mode to recover the data? Was surprised a rebuild from parity didnt solve the issue.

Of course this would have happen the night before a 5 day trip to germany. Trying to get resolved from airport via remote. Its a lawyer..so their billing database is gone, etc. Working on offsite backup downloads at the moment. Tried to keep this short and to the point. 

Should note I am missing about 250gig of data. Drives showing about 25gig used.

Edited by rickholman
2 hours ago, JonathanM said:

When was the last parity check with zero reported errors?

3am this morning with no error. The XFS scan on the new drive is still running when i just logged into the remote PC. Not possible to put the old smaller drive back in and run the scan?

23 minutes ago, rickholman said:

XFS scan was started from terminal, black box with dots going across. Been going for couple hours now.

If done from terminal what was the exact command you used.   Very easy to get it wrong which is why we always recommend doing it via the GUI.

20 minutes ago, rickholman said:

3am this morning with no error.

4 hours ago, rickholman said:

Thought I had a bad drive. Changed out 1tb with new 3tb. Reboot and sync.

So, the parity check completed, then the server locked up and you replaced the drive? I'm confused.

If something got lost in translation, I was asking when the last error free parity check happened prior to the drive change.

23 minutes ago, rickholman said:

Not possible to put the old smaller drive back in and run the scan?

You can't assign a smaller drive to a slot. Once you removed the old drive and replaced it with a larger one it expanded the partition to fill the larger drive. The parity emulated bits that were on the old drive were written to the new drive. The reason I'm asking about the last parity check is if parity was NOT valid when the drive was removed, what was written to the new drive is corrupted.

What you can do is operate on the old drive using the Unassigned Devices plugin, see if it mounts, and if not, run the file system check there.

So I had a rookie mistake and my laptop fell out of my backpack on the side of the road here in Germany. Once I get back to the states I will follow up and see if we can make any progress. I do appreciate the help this far thank you for the responses. 

Posted (edited)

Back home. Picked up server from customer. Going to install the rest of the new drives and pull data from backup. Hoping the drive that "failed" can still be plugged in and data accessed. There is a database I want to see if recoverable. Can I still plug in that old drive and access it somehow, not part of the array but as an extra drive? My thought was to plug it in, run the repair and copy data off it.

EDIT--i see this was already suggested above. Thank you, really appreciate the feedback and advice here.

Edited by rickholman
1 minute ago, rickholman said:

Can I still plug in that old drive and access it somehow, not part of the array but as an extra drive?

On 3/6/2024 at 4:27 PM, JonathanM said:

What you can do is operate on the old drive using the Unassigned Devices plugin, see if it mounts, and if not, run the file system check there.

18 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Problem solved. Plugged drive into my server. Detected the error by itself. Ran the scan. Asked to zero log. Said yes. Fixed repair, drive mounted. All data intact. Learned something new. Thanks again. Everything safe.