is there a way to tell the RAM temperature in unraid?

Not sure if anyone asked before, I'm trying the plex trancoding to RAM method, and wondering if there's a way to tell the RAM temperature in unraid, do I need to install some app/plugins/driver or run some commands?

Edited by shensw
  • 5 months later...

For anyone who comes across this, if your memory modules have temp sensors on them and the correct driver modules are loaded, you should be able to see the reported temps through the terminal. Run the "sensors" command, find the chip(s) for your memory modules, and the temp should be listed under each.

If you don't see what you are after then either your memory modules don't have temp sensors or you don't have the correct modules loaded. To figure out if you need to load some modules, open the terminal and run "sensors-detect". It should be safe to answer all of the prompts with the default answer (just press enter), but definitely read the prompts and proceed at your own risk. At the end, it will tell you if there any drivers that could be loaded to access the various hardware monitoring sensors it finds. To load the modules for testing, just copy, paste, and execute the "modprobe" commands it lists out. For example: "modprobe i2c-dev"

If that gets you access to the temp sensors that you want, then you can load those modules on boot so you don't have to add them back in each time you reboot the system. Just add each of those "modprobe" lines to the "go" file at: /boot/config/go. Here is an example:

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

# Load some modules <--- this line and the following lines are manually added to this file
modprobe your-module-name-here
modprobe another-module-name
modprobe a-third-module-name