Problem disk during parity sync - Recommended action?

Hi everyone,,

I posted this question to r/unraid but I am posting it here too because it is somehow urgent:

I have an array with dual parity. A few days ago I decided to replace both parity drives with larger ones (16TB). The first parity drive replacement went smoothly.

The second parity sync stuck at some point and I had to reboot. When I came back one data drive was red balled. I run a short SMART test but it gets stuck at 90% (I tried other drives and they completed their short SMART test). This indicates that the drive might be problematic.

So, my situation is: One of the 2 parity drives is un-synced and one data drive might need to be replaced. I also have a feeling that another disk might be on the verge of failing. What is the optimal solution:?

1. replace the redballed disk with my previous parity drive (which was obviously removed from the array) and have the array simultaneously rebuild the new parity drive and the failed drive.
  2. 1st rebuild the new parity drive and then the failed data drive (so, 2 runs)
  3. Remove the new parity drive, accept the array as correct and check if the drive works. Then, if it works, add again the second parity drive for parity sync
  4. Some other solution I have not though of...

Any input is welcome

towerp-diagnostics-20240314-1206.zip

Edited by papnikol
upload diagnostics

Previous boot shows read errors with 3 different disks (disks 1, 2 and 3), they are logged as a disk problems, but that seems very unlikely, then there are what look like power/connection issues with disk8, since disk8 shows a lot of UDMA CRC errors, replace the SATA cable, and if the emulated disk is mounting and contents look correct you can rebuild on top.

Also see if disks 1, 2 and 3 share anything in common, like a miniSAS cable or power splitter.

Thanks a lot.

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Also see if disks 1, 2 and 3 share anything in common, like a miniSAS cable or power splitter.

Disks 1, 2, 3 (along with 4) share both the same SATA splitter and miniSAS. I will have to investigate.

Just a few clarifications:

if the emulated disk is mounting

what do you mean by that? since disk 8 is redballed, wouldn't the only way to mount it be to take it out of the array? Should I take it out of the array and try mounting with UD? (btw, I changed SATA cable and it still gets stuck at 90% of the short SMART test)

you can rebuild on top.

-What exactly do you mean by "rebuild on top"? Accept disk 8 as good and rebuild the new parity drive?

17 minutes ago, papnikol said:

since disk 8 is redballed, wouldn't the only way to mount it be to take it out of the array?

Mount the emulated disk, not the actual disk, just need to start the array, in doubt post new diags after that.

22 minutes ago, papnikol said:

What exactly do you mean by "rebuild on top"

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management#rebuilding-a-drive-onto-itself

First thank you very much for your willingness to help.

I also learned about the concept of Rebuilding a drive onto itself. I would usually do a new config and accept the array. I hope to exploit it, hopefully, for one last time :)

So, I removed drive 8 and its emulated counterpart seems to be working. I also mounted drive 8 as unassigned and it seems to work but, still, although I changed cables, the SMART test seems to get stuck at 90%, while it works for other drives. This is a bit strange, so I am thinking of using another drive for a rebuild.

Does that make sense? Also, would it hurt if I simultaneously allowed the new 2nd parity to rebuild? That would allow me to be sooner protected from another failure...

18 minutes ago, papnikol said:

so I am thinking of using another drive for a rebuild.

Does that make sense?

That's a good option if you have a spare, but the disk looks OK.

18 minutes ago, papnikol said:

would it hurt if I simultaneously allowed the new 2nd parity to rebuild?

You can do both at the same time.