Unraid USB Not Detected in BIOS

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

I have been running Unraid since 2019, and my USB appears to have been corrupted or something. My BIOS doesn't detect a usable drive, regardless of which USB port I use. If I put the drive in a Windows computer it recognizes it, but it tells me it needs to be formatted. My last flash backup was July of 2023. I doubt I have changed anything since then as my NAS is pretty much set it and forget it, so I would think I should be able to get my NAS back up and running again.

My issue is that I don't know where to begin. Should I get a new USB drive? Reformat the drive I have? Is there a way to possibly salvage the data on the drive? I'm unclear what actually occurred, and I cannot access my NAS anymore to get any logs (obviously, since the OS is essentially dead). If I do need to get a new USB drive, I can follow the "Changing the flash device" steps here:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/changing-the-flash-device/

I would just like some guidance on how I should proceed. I appreciate anyone willing to assist me.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had my anniversary, and then my family got hit with the flu which knocked us all out. I tried reformatting the drive, and it didn't work. It wasn't possible to format it for some reason, so I bought a new USB drive and followed the steps to change the flash device. I was then able to boot in. My last backup had been a while, but luckily my NAS is a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing, so I lost a community application or two that I had to reinstall. Other than that, everything was seamless. I did a parity check and didn't have any errors. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm glad my server is fully functional again.

P.S. Is there any ETA on when Unraid Connect Flash Backups will be encrypted? I'd love to use that, but I've been waiting on encryption ever since Unraid offer the remote access feature (I think it was My Servers before it was Unraid Connect).