Passing thru Nvidia Tesla P4 to OFFICIAL Plex Docker Container?

Go to solution Solved by Defq0n,

Hi there, I am going to be ordering a Tesla P4 to do hardware transcoding with but I'm finding only very old info about how to get Plex to see it and use it. 

I'd very much prefer to stick w/ the official container, but I'm unsure what new variables I need to add, and which specific devices I'd need to pass thru, if any? Old spaceinvaderone videos just had device UUIDs being added via variables but not actual devices being passed thru.

I'm also not sure which driver version I should be picking/using w/ a Tesla GPU with the latest nvidia driver plugin.

Is the official production one needed for Tesla GPUs (or preferred?) or should I stick w/ open source driver?

Any help is appreciated! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
On 3/16/2024 at 9:47 PM, CorneliousJD said:

Hi there, I am going to be ordering a Tesla P4 to do hardware transcoding with but I'm finding only very old info about how to get Plex to see it and use it. 

I'd very much prefer to stick w/ the official container, but I'm unsure what new variables I need to add, and which specific devices I'd need to pass thru, if any? Old spaceinvaderone videos just had device UUIDs being added via variables but not actual devices being passed thru.

I'm also not sure which driver version I should be picking/using w/ a Tesla GPU with the latest nvidia driver plugin.

Is the official production one needed for Tesla GPUs (or preferred?) or should I stick w/ open source driver?

Any help is appreciated! 

The current nvidia drivers work fine with this. But be sure to read the notes when installing. You will need to stop and then start the docker service after the nvidia installer finishes. This allows docker to be able to use the gpu with the UUID of your card. Also, when configuring plex, be sure to open the advanced view in the top right corner when creating the container. In the extra parameters section, be sure to add "--runtime=nvidia" as shown in the first screenshot. 

Lastly, make sure you pass the extra variables in the plex container as well, or any other container you wish to use the gpu with. These are shown in the second screenshot. The variable names are NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES and NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES. The last variable is where you will copy the UUID in the nvidia driver module. 

If you run into any problems, just let me know.

nvidia.PNG

vars.PNG

• Like 1
On 3/25/2024 at 9:54 PM, Defq0n said:

The current nvidia drivers work fine with this. But be sure to read the notes when installing. You will need to stop and then start the docker service after the nvidia installer finishes. This allows docker to be able to use the gpu with the UUID of your card. Also, when configuring plex, be sure to open the advanced view in the top right corner when creating the container. In the extra parameters section, be sure to add "--runtime=nvidia" as shown in the first screenshot. 

Lastly, make sure you pass the extra variables in the plex container as well, or any other container you wish to use the gpu with. These are shown in the second screenshot. The variable names are NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES and NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES. The last variable is where you will copy the UUID in the nvidia driver module. 

If you run into any problems, just let me know.

nvidia.PNG

vars.PNG

This worked great on official container, i was missing the --runtime-nvidia part and couldn't get it working w/out that and thought i was losing my mind ;) 

16 hours ago, CorneliousJD said:

This worked great on official container, i was missing the --runtime-nvidia part and couldn't get it working w/out that and thought i was losing my mind ;) 

No worries. Glad you got it all going!