Lost Movie files

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

I have noticed that I have l have lost some movie files in Unraid. I came across this by noticing Plex had a couple of movie collections with 0 movies. I did recently replace a 3T drive with a 10T one. Before I attempted this I wanted to copy the drive, However the documentation that I found in the forums on this was very old (around 2016) and in the Unraid guide https://docs.unraid.net/legacy/FAQ/replacing-a-data-drive/ , it only describes pulling a drive and rebuilding it. I followed the method in the link and this is the Only thing that I have done to my server in a few months.

My question is there something that I am missing on protecting my data? I have 8 drives and 2 paritys  I was under the impression that I would have to lose more than 2 drives before my data would become compromised. Also on a side note is there a way to change the display setting when directly connected to the server? I get a change resolution message on my monitor and almost half of the display is black, like a extreme case of letter box. I have been trying to find a solution for this as well.

talonhawk-diagnostics-20240318-1143.zip

I suspect disk2 is the disk you replaced, and it doesn't have much data on it. Probably you did something wrong with rebuild. Format is NEVER part of rebuild, for example.

The current documentation is available from links at the top and bottom of the forum, and from the "manual" link in the lower right corner of your Unraid webUI.

Are you saying that because I formated the drive that is why I lost data? The reason why I formated the drive was after I followed the steps everything seemed to be working as intended, However later I discovered that the drive was disabled and was emulated. I ran some checks on the drive and it seemed fine and that data on the drive was very little. No where close to the 2 something T it had. Then I formated the new drive and tried again. Was this the wrong thing to do? I tried a few other things but was unable to get the red x on the drive to a blue square.

• Solution

You should never format a disk that contains data you want to keep.

Format is a write operation. It writes an empty filesystem to the disk. When you format a disk in the array, Unraid treats this write operation just as it does any other, by updating parity. So, after formatting a disk in the array, the only thing it can rebuild is an empty filesystem.

Not enough information at this late date to know exactly what happened.

If you had asked for help when you were having problems maybe we could have saved your data.

Thanks for the explanation that is exactly what happened. I assumed formatting only affected the drive its self, However doing it in the array erased the emulated data. Would you by chance be able to direct me to a solution to fix the display issue on the monitor that is directly connected to the Unraid server? I have had Unraid for many years and never had an issue with the resolution of my display, this is something that had recently occurred. This is the same monitor I have always used and I am unable to find a way to change the display to a normal configuration.

You can maximize the Firefox browser window, and use the browsers builtin settings to zoom the display to however large you want. The terminal window can also be maximized, don't know how to zoom it. But, there is also the webUI terminal (  >_ ) on the main bar

I am aware of the things that you are describing I believe my explanation of the issue was poor. The display I have is a standard 1920x1080 display. Normally ,lets use window os as an example, if you change the display setting  it will adjust to fit the whole screen. On my display the top 1/4 and the bottom 1/4 are black voids so to speak and the center 1/2 is the only portion of the display being utilized. On a reboot I get a message (I think from the display) to make the resolution 1920x1080. I assume this is either an error in the Unraid OS or the GPU  as I am unsure how Unraid obtains the information for the proper resolution when connected directly. By looking at the display one can tell it is extremely stretched. It would appear the first number ,the one that should be 1920, is set to a smaller value than the second. Thus making it look like letterbox movie.