Successful Supermicro X9SCM-F-0 , 3TB drives version 5.0 beta13

I finally finished my second tower . Here is the build:

-Supermicro  X9SCM-F-0 motherboard

- Processor- Xeon GHZ quad core

- DDR 8 GB unbufferred RAM

- 6 Hitachi 3TB drives

- V 5.0 Beta 13

- I know processor is an overkill, but I already had the processor , which I bought to built a windows based server and eventually changed my mind and decided to build my second tower as the first one was about 4-5 yrs old with 500 GB drives and was giving problems.

It was a breeze to build it and fire it up. Everything worked like a charm the very first time. The Motherboard booted and recognized all the memory on first go. I booted it first time with v5.0 beta 13 with no problems at all and all the 3 TB drives were there on first boot. Preclear went well. Overall I am very happy the design.

If anyone is thinking about this board , I will strongly encourage it . One major benefit I see is that it has embedded IPMI with KVM access. My tower will be in a separate  small equipment room , where all my automation equipment and AV distribution and home network wiring is. So it is so handy to have access to the KVM and all the controls and BIOS remotely from any of my computers by just typing the IP address of the IPMI ethernet adapter , and that also worked like a charm the firt time with no problem and I was even able to update IPMI firmware remotely from the deskptop as well . SO I have a different IP addreses for IPMI and tower and you dont have to make any changes in unraid or your switch etc . It  has 3 ethernet adapters -  two gigabit LAN's and a dedicated IPMI LAN adapter. The only downside is that it has only 6 SATA ports , but I am upto 15TB already , so I dont see any need for more SATA connections at least in forseeable future, at which time I may get supermicro PCI card.

The X9SCM is a great board. I've had my server up and running for a bit over a month with the X9SCM-F. There are a number of other members here also running the X9SCM-F so there's plenty of people around who can answer questions. If you are planning to expand your system up to 20+ drives I think the X9SCM-F is the board of choice.

I've also read that IPMI can run through the standard ethernet port (shared with the data connection) if there's no cable plugged into the IPMI port.  Can you confirm this?

confirm that same working on the X8SIL-F ...

so that begs the question why have a dedicated port or is it a security feature to put on a different vlan ?

I've also read that IPMI can run through the standard ethernet port (shared with the data connection) if there's no cable plugged into the IPMI port.  Can you confirm this?

confirm that same working on the X8SIL-F ...

so that begs the question why have a dedicated port or is it a security feature to put on a different vlan ?

It is a security feature.  Also, it allows admins to reach the box in case the main lan is being worked on and the server is offline except for admin.

Yes you are correct. You can run IPMI through dedicated  LAN or over shared LAN. works flawlessly. I was even able to flash the new IPMI firmware on the motherboard through my desktop in the other room , over IPMI...

- I have transferred 4 TB of data so far , all of it in user shares and I have consistently gotten 30-40 MB /s transfer speed.  I dont really feel the need for cache drive as I leave the transfer at noght and it is done by morning. The preclear speed was 120MB/s at the beginning of the disk and 70 MB/s towards the end with 6 3 TB being precleared simultaneously.Parity checks is running between 120-125 MB/sec which I just started an  hour ago..

• 4 weeks later...