Unclean Shutdown after changing config files of docker containers or deploying docker containers

Hello all,

described problem occcurs mostly when changing something in the config files of a docker container (e.g. Frigate) or deploying a docker container, but also noticed an unclean shutdown after starting the array. It also is not occuring all the time, but sporadically on version 6.12.8 aswell as on version 6.12.9. Hopefully some expert can help me, as I am relatively new to Unraid and only know some basics.

Thanks.

nas-stockstadt-diagnostics-20240327-0926.zip

Unclean shutdown means that Unraid thinks the array was not stopped before the server was shut down or rebooted.

Unclean shutdowns happen when Unraid can't write the array started/stopped status to flash. This can be because shutdown happens before the array has been stopped, or because flash can't be written.

Unclean shutdown always happens due to how things are shutdown and are detected on boot up. The consequence is a parity check when the array is first started after booting.

Changing things will not cause this, unless you change the timeouts related to shutdown, or unless it causes your flash drive to become read-only.

Here is the sticky at the top of this same subforum which discusses the timeouts.

Unrelated, your domains and system shares have files on the array.

Ideally, appdata, domains, and system shares would have all files on a fast pool with nothing on the array, so Dockers/VMs will perform better, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

Looks like you had your docker.img set to 50G before you switched it to a docker folder. Were you having problems filling it? The usual cause of filling docker.img is an application writing to a path that isn't mapped. Docker images shouldn't be growing.

Just now, trurl said:

domains and system shares have files on the array

Possibly this happened due to starting Docker and/or VM Manager before you had a pool for them to live on.

Nothing can move or delete open files. You will have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings before you can clean this up. Dynamix File Manager can help with this.

First of all thank you very much for your fast reply.

On 3/27/2024 at 1:42 PM, trurl said:

Changing things will not cause this, unless you change the timeouts related to shutdown, or unless it causes your flash drive to become read-only.

Here is the sticky at the top of this same subforum which discusses the timeouts.

I tried changing the disk settings as advised in the thread already after I first recognized my problem, sadly it didn´t help. Maybe I described my problem a bit poorly. When I change something in docker configs or trying to add a container the server gets unreachable after clicking done or saving the file at times. After some time the server then is reachable again ( I assume after an automatic reboot) with a stopped array.

On 3/27/2024 at 1:50 PM, trurl said:

Possibly this happened due to starting Docker and/or VM Manager before you had a pool for them to live on.

Nothing can move or delete open files. You will have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings before you can clean this up. Dynamix File Manager can help with this.

Yes indeed I forgot to delete them after changing the docker location from array to pool.

19 minutes ago, trurl said:

Unraid will not automatically reboot. Some BIOS can be set to boot when power is restored, otherwise rebooting on its own suggests a hardware problem.

Okay. But in my logs there was nothing in that regard that jumped into your eye?