VM Issue - Passthrough Hardware

I currently have two VMs running Windows 11 on separate pass-through hardware configurations. One of these VMs, dedicated for personal use, operates without any issues. However, the other VM, which I primarily use for work, encounters occasional problems.

Both VMs utilize different NVME drives as their primary storage (with Windows installed directly rather than on a virtual disk). The hardware pass-through for both VMs includes USB ports, NVME storage (designated as 😄 drives), and dedicated graphics cards.

While the personal VM functions smoothly, the work VM occasionally experiences lock-ups over the weekend, requiring a forced stop instead of a simple reset. Upon attempting to restart the work VM, I encounter an error message.

78149717_UnraidError.png.f734064c84bda57ecc4f2790187293af.png

IOMMU.thumb.png.8002148fd6e9a7c29c85881a0704ab2f.png

The only effective solution I've found is to shut down the entire server, as rebooting alone leads to an IOMU error persisting on the device. After a complete server shutdown and subsequent restart, the work VM functions again.

I've attempted troubleshooting by swapping the NVME drives location between the personal and work VMs, as well as realigning the IOMU allocation in the VM settings. However, these efforts haven't resolved the issue, indicating it's not related to the NVME port allocation.

Even after cloning the NVME drive and installing it anew, the problem persists, ruling out a fault with the NVME drive itself. Both VMs share identical power settings within Windows, with all peripherals configured to remain active and prevent sleep mode.

Despite these measures, the issue persists, particularly noticeable during periods of VM inactivity over weekends. I suspect the problem lies either with Unraid or within the Windows environment, but I've been unable to pinpoint the exact cause.

I'm reaching out here in hopes that someone might offer insights or suggestions toward resolving this perplexing issue.