NFS Shares Check the syslog for details.

Go to solution Solved by dlandon,

Hello,

I have NFS shares since a while and it has always worked until now. 

Today I've installed 6.12.9 version and since, I can't mount NFS shares anymore (same for SMB).

I can detect and find the shares I want to add but impossible to mount them anymore.

I've the following message :

Device 'xxxxxxxxxxxx' failed to mount. Check the syslog for details.

and I don't know what or where to check.

Do you know what can I try ? (share are on a Synology NAS, I used them for plex)

Syslog says:  (xxxxxxx = shares name)

Mar 29 21:03:08 Lab unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'...
Mar 29 21:03:08 Lab unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: /sbin/mount -t 'nfs' -o rw,soft,relatime,retrans=4,timeo=300 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' '/mnt/remotes/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Mar 29 21:03:08 Lab unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: 'mount.nfs: Protocol not supported '.
Mar 29 21:03:08 Lab unassigned.devices: Remote Share 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' failed to mount.

NFS mount failed: 'mount.nfs: Protocol not supported...   well does it mean I need to downgrade or something ?

image.thumb.png.574f3e70eb5fbd6e466a28f12ff771cf.png

image.thumb.png.d11eb298a2847714dbd5757224018f9b.png

Edited by zarkoff

Hi

Thank you for your answer.

In Synonlogy (DSM), NFSv2, NFSv3 and NFSv4 are all activated... and I'm not an expert but what I understand is that the version is determined by the way it is mounted.

On Synology - DSM (https://kb.synology.com/en-id/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/file_winmacnfs_nfs?version=7)I read this:

"When mounting, the parameter -o vers=2, -o vers=3 or -o vers=4 can be added to the mount command in order to specify which NFS version should be used."

So is there a way to add this parameter when we try to mount ?? (a modification in Unassigned Devices plug-in for example ?)

• Solution

When mounting NFS remote shares, UD uses a setting to request the server for the latest version of the protocol available.  You can force UD to use NFSv4 settings when mounting NFS shares by setting the "NFS Version to use when Mounting Remote Shares:" to NFSv4.  This disables the NFS request for version feature.

There have been some changes in the latest Kernel in 6.12.9 that have probably caused this change in the way this works.