Remove a disabled a disk and shrink array

image.thumb.png.34470aa4bf62b6b21196aba9bed46586.png

This morning I found my disk5 was disabled.Since I have enough free space on disk4,I decide copy all data from disk5 to disk4 with unbalanced.

Is this a valid way to do or should I try another approch?

Here is my procedure:

1. copy all data on disk5 to disk4 with unbalanced
  2. stop array and make a new config
  3. make a new array without disk5
  4. rebuild Parity and hope for the best

Thanks in advance for any suggestion. 

endurance-diagnostics-20240401-0828.zip

Edited by nukecat

In theory this will work, but just because a disk is disabled it doesn't mean it's bad. I can't look at the diagnostics right now, but depending on the health of all the disks it may not be the best option.

A disabled disk means a write to it failed, which could be cabling or other issues besides outright disk failure.

1 minute ago, JonathanM said:

In theory this will work, but just because a disk is disabled it doesn't mean it's bad. I can't look at the diagnostics right now, but depending on the health of all the disks it may not be the best option.

A disabled disk means a write to it failed, which could be cabling or other issues besides outright disk failure.

a disk is disabled it doesn't mean it's bad

I understand,and I did a short smart test on disk5 after reboot and it  `Completed without error`.

depending on the health of all the disks it may not be the best option

That's what worries me.Other 4TB old disks may fail during parity rebuild.Is there any other method you recommend?

My ultimate goal is remove disk5 since its old and I dont need that much space anymore and keep its data.