Keep your fools off of my server, please

I know it's April 1, but please, PLEASE, in the future restrain yourselves from trying to come up with a funny hack for MY SERVER SOFTWARE. Write a funny blog post. Make a crazy product announcement. Whatever.

But never, EVER, mess with the CRITICAL software that we depend on.

Would you enjoy waking up to find that your all your phone's contacts were renamed, "just for fun"? Or all your Windows icons?

Well, just imagine my joy late last night when I got the monthly "these things should be updated" email from my server, logged in, and saw RANDOM FACES instead of app icons. Was there a hack on the Docker servers? On Unraid? What the heck was happening? Oh, yeah, sit there and chuckle at your great cleverness. Or don't.

This isn't a toy, this isn't some unimportant little side-app. This is server software, and it should be immune to these kinds of too-clever-by-half "pranks".

Find another way to prove to the world you have whimsy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

One of the things that REALLY bothers me about this is that they added NEW CODE to make this happen. At some point, somewhere, code was added to the system that enabled this. It looks like it was in the Community Apps plugin, but still that's code that is running on our UnRaid instances.

As a professional software developer (yeah, appeal to authority, I know), this is deeply disturbing. This was essentially a "hidden feature" that nobody knew was being installed on our servers.

Adding "joke" code is a bad idea in general. Adding it to a server can lead to potential security vulnerabilities. Pretty much ANY new code can lead to vulnerabilities through unintended consequences, so adding something like this rubs me the wrong way on so many levels.

1 hour ago, src said:

I know it's April 1, but please, PLEASE, in the future restrain yourselves from trying to come up with a funny hack for MY SERVER SOFTWARE. Write a funny blog post. Make a crazy product announcement. Whatever.

But never, EVER, mess with the CRITICAL software that we depend on.

Would you enjoy waking up to find that your all your phone's contacts were renamed, "just for fun"? Or all your Windows icons?

Well, just imagine my joy late last night when I got the monthly "these things should be updated" email from my server, logged in, and saw RANDOM FACES instead of app icons. Was there a hack on the Docker servers? On Unraid? What the heck was happening? Oh, yeah, sit there and chuckle at your great cleverness. Or don't.

This isn't a toy, this isn't some unimportant little side-app. This is server software, and it should be immune to these kinds of too-clever-by-half "pranks".

Find another way to prove to the world you have whimsy.

Agreed.

It was quite disturbing to see this today on paid server software.  There's no shortage of appropriate April Fools jokes without affecting personal or business servers.  Did you do the same thing to your 'big' clients?