[SOLVED] SATA Controller Shows, No Disks

Go to solution Solved by mytech,

Hi all,

After some issues with drives connected to a PCI to SATA card that I've had for a few years showing as missing after a reboot, I did some research on the forum about cards with different controllers etc. and purchased the StarTech.com 8 Port SATA PCIe Card which has 4x ASMedia - ASM1061 controllers (which I believe should work). The cables being used are those supplied with the card (2x Mini-SAS connections with Mini-SAS to 4x locking SATA adapter cables). 

However, no matter what I do, I can't get my disks to show in UNRAID again. The disks are a mix of SSD and HDDs from different manufacturers. Some of the drives are in the built in drive bays in the Silverstone SST-CS380 V2 (so connected to the included backplane). The others are in an Icy Dock MB326SP-B. The four controllers show in the UNRAID System Devices screen, but not the disks. The disks that do show up are either connected to the four SATA ports on the motherboard, or to another offbrand SATA card that is in the system (which if today had gone well, I was going to replace with another StarTech card...).

When UNRAID is booting, I can see various ATA errors for a few minutes about devices being misidentified.

By contrast, in the Gigabyte BIOS, I can see all 15 of my drives, including those on that new StarTech card, so the card does indeed appear to be working. The motherboard is a Gigabyte B550 GAMING X (rev. 1.0) with an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X.

I've tried swapping my GPU and the StarTech card over to rule out a PCI issue, no change.

I've attached my diagnostics.

Is anyone able to help please?

Thank you in advance.

bwd-ccn-hv01-diagnostics-20240402-2137.zip

Edited by mytech
Solved
Apr  2 21:32:41 BWD-CCN-HV01 kernel: ata13: found unknown device (class 0)

Controllers are not correctly identifying the devices, and while theoretically 4 x ASM1062 should work fine, I seem to remember other users having issues with those.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:
Apr  2 21:32:41 BWD-CCN-HV01 kernel: ata13: found unknown device (class 0)

Controllers are not correctly identifying the devices, and while theoretically 4 x ASM1062 should work fine, I seem to remember other users having issues with those.

Thanks for the reply. In the BIOS, I can see all of my drives, correctly named so the controller does seem to be doing its job properly, until it gets into UNRAID.

I'd seen posts where people were using this card and, after resolving various other issues (such as power), it seemed to work, so I was hoping it would for me too.

Do you know if there's anything I can adjust to make it work properly in UNRAID like it does in the BIOS?

If not, are you able to recommend an 8 port addin card (or two 4 port cards) that I can purchase from Amazon UK please?

Thank you.

• Solution
Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 10:32 AM, JorgeB said:

Thanks so much for this.

I tried a couple of the suggestions with no success, but then tried looking for similar settings in the BIOS. In the end, I made the below changes and the HDDs now all appear in UNRAID!

• IOMMU: Disabled
    • Upon further testing, it is the IOMMU setting that fixed this, not the two below.
  • Above 4G Decoding: Enabled
  • Re-Size BAR Support: Auto
Edited by mytech
Added clarification as to the specific fix.
  • Like 1
  • mytech changed the title to [SOLVED] SATA Controller Shows, No Disks