My VM Disk is stored on my main ZFS pool despite setting it to cache?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Still rather new to unraid so forgive me here. I am doing a backup of my main pc to my unraid server and whilst doing this I booted my VM which was very sluggish, I checked task manager and it said HDD 100% which was cause for concern, so I shut it down and checked my shares and when I go into my domains share it says vdisk1 is on "Main" which is my ZFS pool. As far as I am aware I dont think its possible to move from a zfs pool to a cache is it? If so how do I do this? I have attached some screenshots below to demonstrate what I mean

All I want to do is have my VM run solely on my cache for performance if possible as I have set a 200GB size and will mainly use it for converting videos which will be moved straight over to my main pool.

12261051_Screenshot2024-04-03145108.thumb.png.55669637782a38c55ee9b14348135000.png1605656543_Screenshot2024-04-03145021.thumb.png.d46e779eaa166f088bde0366be8b7dc2.png244330729_Screenshot2024-04-031451423.thumb.png.1c807586dba9682547aec53df85ce856.png

In the process of doing this now, thank you! Also I just looked at this and thought about using the cache to store new plex media and then have it move over to my main ZFS pool. Did I read correctly that the ability to move from cache to ZFS pool is coming in 6.13?

Also I just tried the mover, set primary storage to main on the domains share and secondary to array. Then set mover to do main - Array, and then ran the mover which ran for a few seconds but I am still seeing the vdisk1 listed as being on main

27 minutes ago, Connor19 said:

and then ran the mover which ran for a few seconds but I am still seeing the vdisk1 listed as being on main

Did you shutdown the VM? If yes enable the mover logging, run the mover, post diags.

31 minutes ago, Connor19 said:

Did I read correctly that the ability to move from cache to ZFS pool is coming in 6.13?

Possibly, but not confirmed yet

34 minutes ago, Connor19 said:

Did I read correctly that the ability to move from cache to ZFS pool is coming in 6.13?

Not sure this is going to arrive before 7.0 (the major release after 6.13) which is now meant to be the one that treats the main Unraid array like another pool type,  but I would like to be proved wrong.

Apr  3 16:49:39 NAS move: move_object: /mnt/main/domains: No space left on device

Minimum free space for the domains share is very high, because it was on a much larger pool, default is 10%, you need to set a new appropriate value and then run the mover again.

12 minutes ago, Connor19 said:

Okay so mover is done and has moved from main to array but now when I try to set primary to array, I can not set secondary to cache, or anything for that matter

Secondary can never be anything but array.   You can make the array the primary and have no secondary.   Yu only need both primary and secondary set if you want mover to do something, and then you can specify the direction of moves.  What are you currently trying to achieve?