Can’t access my SMB via Windows 11

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Hi guys, I have been trying to troubleshoot for hours, searching Google, YouTube, etc. but I can’t get it to work. I have my share in unraid set to private and my user has read/write permissions, then I go to file explorer and see my unraid server called “Hemmaserver“ but when I click on it this error message pops up:

IMG_3754.thumb.jpeg.a4696dc5cf1530e8b9d1198366d8cb30.jpeg

“\\HEMMASERVER is not available. Maybe you don’t have permissions to use this resource. Ask the server’s administrator for help. Multiple simultaneous server connections or resources that are shared by the same user that uses more than one username are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or the shared resources and try again.“

-Directly translated from Swedish to English as best I could.

I am using the tailscale plugin in case that is important and I am using the latest windows 11 version and unraid version 6.12.9

• 2 weeks later...

Did  you set up a Windows credential for your Unraid Share Access user in Windows Credential Manager?    (Windows can do some strange things about logging into servers at times.  It is often best to force Windows into using the login that you want it to use.   Credential Manager can do that.  You should reboot the Windows computer after you make the change.) 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Did  you set up a Windows credential for your Unraid Share Access user in Windows Credential Manager?    (Windows can do some strange things about logging into servers at times.  It is often best to force Windows into using the login that you want it to use.   Credential Manager can do that.  You should reboot the Windows computer after you make the change.) 

@Frank1940 I did that and then I got it to work for a day (I hadn't rebooted the first time). But now when I shut the pc down during the night and started it the next day, the private share is inaccessible again. I'm going to try removing the credentials again and then re-enter them again and then reboot to see if it fixes it again. But I doubt it's going to be a long-term fix.

6 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Another thing to try:

image.thumb.png.03db29e3c25e256a538654a1d947c778.png

Thx, i'm going to try this too

Windows will allow only one connection from a Windows client computer to any server.  (As I understand it,this is strictly a Windows policy!)  There was a backdoor where you could use the IP-Address of a server and the server's Network name to set up two connections.  BUT I have not been able to get that to work for some time. 

Windows also has recently implemented a policy that guest/anonymous connections to servers are not allowed.

Window networking error messages are confusing and often misleading. 

Many folks try to get around Windows security policies and sometimes, they are successful.  But, essentially, they are just hacking Windows security and MS may plug these hacks at any time in the future.  I feel that it best to just set things up the way MS wants them to be.    Here is a link to a couple of PDF files that will help you do this:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

@Frank1940 Do you mean that I have to re-enter the credentials into credential manager every time I reboot my PC? Or what do you mean with "Windows will allow only one connection from a Windows client computer to any server"? I only have one PC connected to 1 user on my unraid server so I can't have exceeded some sort of limit

10 minutes ago, Thedinotamer said:

I only have one PC connected to 1 user on my unraid server so I can't have exceeded some sort of limit

That PC is only allowed one login/connection to any Server.  (That restriction is enforced by the client PC.)   That means if that client PC establishes a login to your Unraid server silently, any attempt to login with another set of login credentials will fail!

Here is an old post that describes what happens behind the sceans:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem?tab=comments#comment-228392

23 minutes ago, Thedinotamer said:

Do you mean that I have to re-enter the credentials into credential manager every time I reboot my PC?

No.  I should be a one time deal to add them and Windows should continue to use them forever.  Note that every user on that client has their own environment...

16 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

PC establishes a login to your Unraid server silently

When would it have done this? As I said before I have only tried to login into one user.

17 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

No.  It should be a one time deal to add them and Windows should continue to use them forever.  Note that every user on that client has their own environment...

What do you think made Windows to break the connection to the shares if this is the case?

• Solution
2 hours ago, Thedinotamer said:

What do you think made Windows to break the connection to the shares if this is the case?

The connection is 'broken' is always broken when the client is shutdown. 

3 hours ago, Thedinotamer said:

When would it have done this? As I said before I have only tried to login into one user.

As I understand, the client and the server do a handshake operation the first time that the client tries to connect to the server.  (Note that this first contact could be setting up a 'mapped' Windows drive...)  Be sure that you read that post from LimeTech back on 2013 about the login handshaking that goes on. 

SMB has its roots back in Windows for Workgroups which was introduced back in the early 1990's.   At that time, SMB was intended to link together a few computers in small engineering groups who wanted to share data without restrictions among their group.  (My first experience using it was with 10 base 2 cards and RG-58 cabling.)  It has evolved over the last thirty years into the basic standard networking protocol for the Governments and businesses.  And this has resulted in it becoming a prime target for every hacker in the world.  So security is now the watchword for SMB.  The goal of SMB is now to ensure that only verified authorized users ever gain access to a SMB server.  If you as a user don't qualify in even the smallest detail, SMB is going to deny you access. 

• Like 1