Fractal Design chassis comparison - Meshify 2 vs Define R5

Howdy, I'm contemplating a server facelift, as the old Thermaltake case I'm currently using has some noise/fan rattle issues. My server mostly lives in a closet where airflow can be an issue too, so I would like to improve the airflow for the drives (I have one in particular that sits above 50C most of the time, the rest stay in the 40s). I'm using old hardware and don't see much of a need to update it at the moment, so I'll stick with:

- microATX motherboard, CPU has a standard factory heatsink and fan.

- 5 HDDs (1 parity, 4 data, and I have another 3 or so spare smaller capacity drives I could add with a PCIe SATA card)

- 1 SSD (2.5" SATA)

- ATX PSU, can be mounted with fan up or fan down

Based on recommendations in these and other forums, I've found these two cases that fit my budget:

Meshify 2 - $150

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-meshify-2-atx-mid-tower/p/11-352-131

Define R5 - $125

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-define-r5-atx-micro-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352048

I prefer the look of the R5, but I'm leaning towards the Meshify 2 since it comes with 3 x 140mm fans, whereas the R5 comes with only 1. So assuming I would have to add more fans to the R5, I figure the Meshify 2 is actually about the same price.

The Meshify 2 also supports up to 11 x 3.5" drives, whereas the R5 maxes out at 8 x 3.5" drives. I'm fine with a total of 8 drives, that feels like plenty, but storing 'cold swap' drives in the extra drive bays of the Meshify might be nice to help with quick and easy recovery.

What do y'all think? Both of these cases get rave reviews so I doubt I'll be disappointed with either.

For fun: my 'workhorse' PC is still rocking the Antec P180 from many years back, what a rock solid (and silent!) case that's been. I wish they still made them! Not ideal for unRAID, but I love it nevertheless: https://www.newegg.com/silver-antec-performance-one-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811129154

My gaming rig has the R5, and I intend to eventually move my unraid server into it when I get a new one for it. Room for expansion, and I just love the aesthetic of it.

currently my unraid lives in a Node 804. I needed compact and it fit in perfectly where it’s located which was cramped for space.

You’re probably best, imho, going for the Meshify 2. Have read great things on it, cracking looking case, good number of included fans and so much room if you ever decide to add additional drives 😃

Thanks! I looked at the 804 as well, looks like a solid case, but I get the sense that its cooling for the hard drive bays isn't as strong. Have you had any drive temp issues with it?

Meshify 2 is looking like the one.