[Noob] Issue with permissions from a docker

Heyah !

I'm quite noob with Unraid, Linux in general so yeah it might be a dumb issue, but I can't find any solution. 

I've set up my server with something basic. Shares and permissions, works well. Did setup some basic Dockers, never had any big issue (even the ones you have to link with db and such). I was able to setup wireguard correctly, so I'm quite happy of how everything turned out in general.

However, I'm hitting a big issue with Dockers writting files to my shares. I've setup TubeSync in order to archive a Youtube Channel I like. It works, except the files written have messed permissions.

The share linked to it is Public, simple as that. I'm alone, so I don't need to put specific permissions atm. When I look at my files' permission on Windows. No issue. It works.

But any file created with this docker will give the right to nobody, and I can't find where I should edit that to apply the basic permission. Like any other file / folder inside that share will have the special autorisation for any user. 

I understand the issue is linked to PUID (99) and PGID (100) but I'm not sure to what to put to have the basic permissions. I was able to make it work with my own user, but I fear like it could create issues in the future. I just want the right with any user (I still can by rewritting the permission as my own user but yeah still feels cheap)

Any help ? 
Thanks !

Edited by Vladcik
1 hour ago, itimpi said:

Not quite sure why you think you have a problem?  The "nobody" user is the standard default in Unraid.

Heyah !

Well it's by default, but it makes any file (for example on my Windows) not usable at all. I'm registered with my user account, and I say I don't have any right because well it's nobody that owns everything.

Would not be an issue if nobody's right was duplicate with my user / all users in Windows but here, it's just the default nobody user not allowing me to do anything with the files created from this docker

Thanks o/

52 minutes ago, Vladcik said:

Heyah !

Well it's by default, but it makes any file (for example on my Windows) not usable at all. I'm registered with my user account, and I say I don't have any right because well it's nobody that owns everything.

Would not be an issue if nobody's right was duplicate with my user / all users in Windows but here, it's just the default nobody user not allowing me to do anything with the files created from this docker

Thanks o/

I suggest you post the result of 

ls -l

command to show the full permissions of the file in question.    It could well be something other than the username that is the issue.

i have all my Unraid files owned by ‘nobody’ and can access them with no issues from all my systems with no problems which is why I suspect some other issue.

I just resetup the Original PUID / PGID  with my TubeSync docker and it rechanged all the permissions for the files inside this share. 
Here's the result. Sorry it's in french for the second screen. It just shows the permission for everybody.

Thanks !

TestUser.png

User2.png

That shows there is an issue with the docker setting the permissions correctly, not with the owner being ‘nobody’ and the group being ‘users’

on a directory I would expect them to be

drwxrwxrwx

and on a file

-rw-rw-rw-

These are the permissions you would get if you ran Tools->New Permissions on the share to set them to standard Unraid defaults.

1 minute ago, Vladcik said:

Well i'm confused here. The docker settings of TubeSync is just 99/100 ? 
And I already did the Tools => New Permissions a few time to just be back to that state ?

DockerPermission.png

Those are correct to get the user and group but is not sufficient.   Is there anything that mentions Umask which is used to get the correct permissions.

Yep, sadly, I can't find anything more :( 

I guess i'll put it back to my user's permissions that way I can AT least do the modifications I want / need for all users.

Thanks a lot for the support, glad to see I was not too crazy T-T ❤️

8 minutes ago, Vladcik said:

Thanks a lot for the support, glad to see I was not too crazy T-

You could use the User Scripts plugin to periodically set the permissions to Unraid default.   Under the covers the New Permissions tool invokes the ‘newperms’ binary that can be used in a script.

I did a quick read through of your problem and I concur that you probably have a problem that can be fixed by the UMASK variable.

Let's start with a link:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/148249-newbie-question-which-app-to-choose/#comment-1330081

Now that you know a bit more about what is going on, you can try to fix it.   Go to the Docker in Question.  Click on its Icon and pick edit from the 'Dropdown' list. 

In the 'Update container' at the right end, make sure that the 'ADVANCE VIEW' is selected.

On the bottom at that Update container' page, if there is "show more settings", open that up.  Now look at a line on the entire page that looks like this:

image.thumb.png.2d7f15627de5df32b14070799c3ed4ec.png

If there is one, make sure that variable is 000  (the number--Zero Zero Zero).

If not, you may be able to add it.  Again at the bottom of the page, look for this option:

image.png.b9f48993cbf132a1fd17f57b2b6fbfbe.png

Use the screenshot as your template to add/create a  'Container Variable' with the name of   UMASK     with the variable value being   000  

EDIT:   Probably a good idea to stop the container before to the editing!  

Edited by Frank1940

Heyah !

Thanks for your answer. I tried to do add the UMASK as a bonus variable, but it didn't change anything in the end :( I've retired in case but nope. Still the nobody with right and no other user  can't do anything with these files. 

Thanks !

Umask.png

4 minutes ago, Vladcik said:

Thanks !

Umask.png

Notice that this is missing in your screenshot:

image.png.8e522fe24d14ab92cc151814b95df093.png

I am pointing this out only because it is something different that I saw.  (I know that often you have to enter same variable in several different locations to get things set up correctly.)