G620 unraid build

PeteAron

I started using unraid with an old dell, described in another post as frankenserver.  That case/mb combination can support 6 drives with the onboard connectors.  The case could hold maybe two more, and that's it, so I decided to makeover the hardware; the dell xps610 is a BTX board and I didnt have much luck finding a case - decided not to look real hard due to the power consumption of the 2.4 Ghz Core2Duo processor.  Because my new m/b has realtek nic's, I was forced to, at the same time, upgrade to unraid 5.0b13.  Here's the build:

Case - Antec 300

mb - Supermicro C7P67

cpu - Intel G620

ram - 4 gb of cheap microcenter DDR3 1333 ram

SATA controller - AOC-SASLP-MV8, PCIe x4

video card - 8 mb ati rage =), PCI

ps - Corsair 550 W 80plus builder series

boot drive - Sandisk 4 mb Cruizer blade

Unraid 5.0b13

Drives:

2 Hitachi HDS5C3020 2 TB, 1 Samsung HD204UI 2 Tb, 1 WD20EARS 2 TB, 2 Seagate SD2000 2 TB, 1 Hitachi HDS7210 1 TB, 1 Samsung HD102UJ 1 TB, and 1 WD10EADS 1 TB

The server seems to run well under 5.0b13, although I can't run the memory test.  I tested it under windows 7 memory tester.  I got no reportout, so I guess that means the memory passes.  I was unable to get this mb to recognize my netgear pcie nic (??) so this necessitated my moving from a stable 4.7 build to 5.0b13.  I hope to report in a month the level 1 and 2 certifications for this mb; I have already transferred some 400 gb of data over my network.  I used this server to preclear three drives; the two new seagates and the 10eads, which had lived in my tivo for about two years. Sorry tivo =)  

I'm not too happy with this case.  I got it at microcenter because I like my Antec 100 and it was on sale, but it doesnt hold enough drives.  The internal 3.5 bays are too far apart - there is almost room for two drives per drive slot; lots of space is wasted, even though there are fan mounts for in front of the drives. . . .   I have a 3 into 2 drive cage that has a fan in front; I placed that into two of the external 5.25 bays and mounted 3 drives in it.  I have a spare 5.25 bay but every other drive bay is full.  I am thinking about trying to return it; if not I will eventually drill some new holds and remove the fins that the drives sit on.  Otherwise it is a nice case, but the 100 is better in just about any given way; truth is they are very similar cases though.  

IMG_0465sssm.JPG.cade862f11d6ffcf11fac08d76ad0c5c.JPG

Archived