Am I getting the fastest network speeds possible with the hardware I have?

Go to solution Solved by icarus69,

Openspeedtest results (Docker container): Download - 95.6Mbps. Upload - 100.2Mbps. Ping - 7ms. Jitter - 3ms.

Speedtest.net (WiFi speeds I get from my laptop connected to my router: Download - 543.46Mbps. Upload - 52.02Mbps. Ping - 15ms.

My Unraid server is connected to my local network by connecting it's 1Gbps Ethernet port directly into my ISP router, a Virgin Media Hub 5.

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SCA-F

CPU: Intel i3-9100

RAM: 2x 32GB Samsung DDR4 2666Mhz ECC RAM 32GB UDIMM M391A4G43MB1-CTDQ

PSU: Corsair SF850L

HBA: LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9240-8i = (9211-8I) IT Mode

HDDs: 3x WD Red Plus 6TB

SSD: 1x Transcend SSD370S 32 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III 6 Gb/s (array in order to use the 3x HDDs as my actual array as a ZFS pool)

CPU fan: Noctua NH-L12S

Case fan: 1x Arctic P12 PWM PST

Is there anything I should do r.e. settings anywhere that could improve the speeds I'm getting (as reported by Openspeedtest)? I don't have budget to go and buy any additional hardware right now.

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread. It is always a good idea when asking questions to supply your diagnostics so we can see details of your system, how you have things configured, and the current syslog.

your description makes it sound like you may only be getting a 100Mbps connection to your Unraid server despite you thinking it should be 1000Mbps.

Be careful, as nomenclature can screw you up when you are comparing speeds.  

Network speeds are usually given in   bits    while  storage speeds are given in bytes 

Bits are abbreviated with a    b      (small letter).    Bytes are abbreviated with    B    (capital letter).       (Of course, a byte contains 8 bits.)

14 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Be careful, as nomenclature can screw you up when you are comparing speeds.  

Network speeds are usually given in   bits    while  storage speeds are given in bytes 

Bits are abbreviated with a    b      (small letter).    Bytes are abbreviated with    B    (capital letter).       (Of course, a byte contains 8 bits.)

Thanks. Whatever the difference between bits and bytes, though, changing to a Cat6 cable incresed the speeds recorded by OpenSpeedTest significantly, so I'm assuming that was the issue.

2 hours ago, icarus69 said:

Thanks. Whatever the difference between bits and bytes, though, changing to a Cat6 cable incresed the speeds recorded by OpenSpeedTest significantly, so I'm assuming that was the issue.

If by any chance you have a LAN cable where not all 4 twisted pairs are connecting end-to-end then a 1000Mbps LAN typically silently degrades to 100Mbps.   This can be confusing as no error is indicated and the LAN is operational - just not at the expected speed.   It may be just that the original cable was defective in this way?